Help for a novice... What use are brambles and weeds for the future?

Just getting into gardening... our 130ft garden has been somewhat neglected and we are now doing stuff too if.

To start we have had cut down about 200m sq of weeds and brambles from the back end of our garden.

What use would this all be if I hired a shredder and had this as mulch? Should I bag it up and take away or use on the rest of the garden?

Reply to
hodgesant

You could shred the brambles, but then they need composting - I wouldn't put them onto borders until Autumn of next year. The weeds are likely to be perennials (dandelions, dock, nettles etc) which I would never put on the compost - I'd take them to your nearest tip and put them in the green waste.

However, nettles (with roots chopped off) are good for composts, so if you're prepared to faff, you could extract those. I don't know if you've made compost before - if not, Google has lots of items about what to do. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Janet Conroy

Brambles

Edible Parts: Fruit.

Fruit - raw or cooked[105, 161]. Rather variable in quality, there are a number of named forms with delicious fruits that have been selected for cultivation[2].

Used for:

Diarrhea Wounds Mouth Sores, Sore Throat Hemorrhoids

------

Dandelion

Edible Parts: Flowers; Leaves; Root.

Edible Uses: Coffee; Tea.

Medicinal Uses Aperient; Cholagogue; Depurative; Diuretic; Hepatic; Laxative; Stomachic; Tonic; Warts.

------

Great Burdock Edible Parts: Leaves; Root; Seed; Stem.

Medicinal Uses

Alterative; Antibacterial; Antifungal; Antiphlogistic; Aperient; Blood purifier; Carminative; Cholagogue; Depurative; Diaphoretic; Diuretic; Hypoglycaemic; Stomachic.

Burdock is one of the foremost detoxifying herbs in both Chinese and Western herbal medicine[254].

-------

Urtica dioica - L.: Stinging Nettle

Edible Parts: Leaves.

Edible Uses: Colouring; Curdling agent; Drink.

Medicinal Uses

Antiasthmatic; Antidandruff; Astringent; Diuretic; Galactogogue; Haemostatic; Hypoglycaemic; Stings; Tonic.

----

Pity, I'd love to have these plants in my yard.

Reply to
Billy