Black crowders again

Went out to peruse the gardens again this morning and it appears I have

98% of the black crowder seeds have come up. That's the best I've ever had on store bought seed. These are from Victory Seeds so I will probably order more seed from them as time goes on.

The cucumber seeds, so far, are about 50% above ground. All of the plants from the nursery are doing fine. We have tiny tomatoes on some "free" tomato plants, ie. the seeds grew from the compost pit and are doing well. Sometimes we just take the compost bucket out to the garden and pot hole it as a faster way to make real compost. Poking around the area of the free tomatoes turned up several earthworms so we're happy that we do, indeed have some earthworms on the property. Possibly from some we ordered last spring and put into the raised beds and in the fence rows. At any rate, some worms are better than no worms.

Looks like there may be some rain today, we can only hope. Yesterday I strung out one of those flat, green, three tube soaker hoses. It was thirty feet long and was a gift from one of our neighbors who moved last year, still in the package and much stronger than soaker hoses made from recycled auto tires. I had forgotten about it until I ran up on it in the garage. I had already bought another one twenty-five feet long at a close out sale at a local store. We shall see how long they last but they do appear to do a good job of soaking.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Y'all are a bit ahead of us . I've got lettuce , spinach , bok choy , and snap peas in the ground . Peas were just planted a couple of days ago , everything else is coming up now . Strawberries are starting to come to life too . I thought I'd lost part of the patch from grass strangulation , but maybe not . I'm cautiously optomistic . Pepper and tomato seedlings are doing well in the window . Got some herbs planted but they haven't come up yet . We seem to be about 3 weeks ahead of usual temps , but I don't trust it , gonna wait until at least the second week of April before I set seedlings out .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

No , and after this year's seed swap I've got even more choices . I have seed for red rippers , skunk , clay , whippoorwill , and purple hull peas . We really liked the red rippers last year ... I'll probably plant 2 kinds again this year , RR's and one other but I haven't decided which . I'm sitting here enjoying the aroma of the pizza sauce I just made , it's been simmering on the stove for an hour or so . Started with 3 cups of San Marzano's from last year's crop that I froze . A can of paste , chopped onion and garlic , spices , and a dash of red cooking wine . If the smell is any indication I think I've found my sauce recipe - been tweaking this one for some time now .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Well , I guess that's one way to get 'em ... BTW , the sauce was superb IMO . The wife will be rendering final judgement today after the Cold Pizza Test . She took the last 2 slices for lunch . We use quite a lot of tomatoes , between sauces , soups , and best of all fresh sliced . My 2 oldest granddaughters can strip a cherry tomato plant of ripe fruit as fast as they can gobble them .

Reply to
Terry Coombs