beetroot

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know when to harvest beetroot, or is it a case of different times for different types?
--
fletcher

Add pictures here
✖
fletcher wrote:

Cut it when it is the size you like to eat. If you don't know what that is experiment. It does tend to get woody when over large.
✖
fletcher wrote:

depending upon soil condition and how much rain you've been having... usually, any time you like up to about baseball size is good for many varieties. if you are pickling or particularly interested in cuteness or presentation then pick them anywhere from quarter to golf ball sized (but it means more work to prepare them).
we have a hard time letting them get very big.
the greens can be used too.
songbird
Add pictures here
✖

Cook like chard: olive oil, garlic, and sautée.

--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖
Billy wrote:

It is chard.
✖

Same genus, but not the same species. The former is Beta cicla, and the later Beta vulgaris. Morphologically Beta cicla is grown for its leaves, whereas Beta vulgaris is grown for its root. However, we prefer the leaves of Beta vulgaris to the leaves of Beta cicla for flavor. Prepare as above for chard.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖

May be, and I'm too lazy to dig out my copy of St. Ashworth*, BUT: The Seed Saver's Exchange, in the front of the annual yearbook for member swaps says, "Swiss Chard- any beet that is grown for its greens." Probably makes life easier for knowing where to put stuff.
*Suzanne Ashworth will be one of the speakers at the SSE campout convention weekend of 7/15; I'll try to resist kissing Her ring or something.
P.S. I found it-"Seed to Seed" calls Garden Beet, Sugar Beet, Swiss Chard, Mangel, all Beta Vulgaris.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
Add pictures here
✖

Whether it is Beta vulgaris L., or Beta vulgaris subsp. cicla, you eat the root of one, and the leaves of the other. Clearly they aren't the same thing. (You're really gonna make me work for this one, aren't you;O) Now go away, you're blocking the view.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖

A little harsh, eh?
You've never eaten beet leaves? Taste a lot like chard?
Oh, well, I'm going....
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
Add pictures here
✖

Jeez, what the hell. Yeah, as I mentioned, we prefer beet greens (Beta vulgaris L.) to Swiss chard (Beta vulgaris subsp. cicla). You're not going to miss much. Not much of a view from cyberspace. Pixels are really limited, ya know? You're making me look like a cranky old man. Say what you like. I am not old.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖

Now I'm really, really puzzled: Where did I say anything about your age, or impute a heightened level of A(crank)? I've been well aware of the limitations of cyberspace, ever since the first BBS programs ran on a dial-in line on a Commodore 64, and it hasn't gotten any better. As for the Beta name game, I am not a botanist, nor do I play one on TV. You now seem to have chard as a sub species, which is getting close to "variety" or "landrace." I notice that even the scientific types who determine these things keep changing their minds, much to the dismay of nursery folk. I'm sure the "blocking the view" bit is a reference missing from my archives; not to worry, the biggest hat I have is a cloth fisherman's hat-think Walter Matthau. I gotta go plant something....leaving for the SSE campout next week, and I'm way behind as usual.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
Add pictures here
✖

Is that the Society for Sensible Explanations, or Seed Saver's Exchange? Bring back a doggie bag of knowledge in any event.

--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖

The latter; it's a 3-day road trip from here, with visits, sightseeing, etc. on the way.

Suzanne Ashworth is speaking, and I'll get the newest edition of "Seed to Seed" autographed, and possibly kiss her ring, or approach on my knees or something. Most-used book on the shelf here. Last year, quite by chance, I met Rob Johnston.
There will be lots of pictures!
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
Add pictures here
✖

Do you go by Cleveland, or Toronto?
No electricity for campers. I hope they have hot showers.

--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖

Enjoy. But I'm not an admirer as it's a book that irritates me. If I need information of seed saving, I prefer to use "The Seed Savers Handbook" by Michel and Jude Fanton.
Add pictures here
✖

Discuss? I'm always looking for good sources of information. As I get older, I realize I know less and less.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
Add pictures here
✖
be given> wrote:

My irritation probably stems more from the style and author assumption than anything. When I'm looking for info on seed saving, I've usually in a hurry and 'Seed to Seed' drones on and on and takes too long to get to the point and there seems to be an underlying assumption that the reader knows nothing and needs to be told in with extreme due care because they are a bit dim. TMWOT, it's more a book for bedtime and/or armchair gardening reading when one likes to ponder and mull rather than actually do anything.
Add pictures here
✖

I would have sworn that David would come out to play. (shrug)
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖
Billy wrote:

Again? I served.
✖