beetroot

Does anyone know when to harvest beetroot, or is it a case of different times for different types?

Reply to
fletcher

Cut it when it is the size you like to eat. If you don't know what that is experiment. It does tend to get woody when over large.

David Hare-Scott

depending upon soil condition and how much rain you've been having... usually, any time you like up to about baseball size is good for many varieties. if you are pickling or particularly interested in cuteness or presentation then pick them anywhere from quarter to golf ball sized (but it means more work to prepare them).

we have a hard time letting them get very big.

the greens can be used too.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Cook like chard: olive oil, garlic, and sautée.

Reply to
Billy

It is chard.

David Hare-Scott

Same genus, but not the same species. The former is Beta cicla, and the later Beta vulgaris. Morphologically Beta cicla is grown for its leaves, whereas Beta vulgaris is grown for its root. However, we prefer the leaves of Beta vulgaris to the leaves of Beta cicla for flavor. Prepare as above for chard.

Reply to
Billy

May be, and I'm too lazy to dig out my copy of St. Ashworth*, BUT: The Seed Saver's Exchange, in the front of the annual yearbook for member swaps says, "Swiss Chard- any beet that is grown for its greens." Probably makes life easier for knowing where to put stuff.

*Suzanne Ashworth will be one of the speakers at the SSE campout convention weekend of 7/15; I'll try to resist kissing Her ring or something.

P.S. I found it-"Seed to Seed" calls Garden Beet, Sugar Beet, Swiss Chard, Mangel, all Beta Vulgaris.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Reply to
Gary Woods

Whether it is Beta vulgaris L., or Beta vulgaris subsp. cicla, you eat the root of one, and the leaves of the other. Clearly they aren't the same thing. (You're really gonna make me work for this one, aren't you;O) Now go away, you're blocking the view.

Reply to
Billy

A little harsh, eh?

You've never eaten beet leaves? Taste a lot like chard?

Oh, well, I'm going....

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Reply to
Gary Woods

You've got those two round the wrong way surely?

Reply to
FarmI

Jeez, what the hell. Yeah, as I mentioned, we prefer beet greens (Beta vulgaris L.) to Swiss chard (Beta vulgaris subsp. cicla). You're not going to miss much. Not much of a view from cyberspace. Pixels are really limited, ya know? You're making me look like a cranky old man. Say what you like. I am not old.

Reply to
Billy

I would have sworn that David would come out to play. (shrug)

Reply to
Billy

We are NOW calling them Beta vulgaris L. (the beet), and Beta vulgaris subsp. cicla (the Swiss chard). Don't block the view.

Reply to
Billy

Fair enough. I love both of them so name doesn't really get in my way.

Well sit down back there and wait till I sit down. Either that, or don't try looking round me when I've got my big sunhat on!

Reply to
FarmI

Again? I served.

David Hare-Scott

Now I'm really, really puzzled: Where did I say anything about your age, or impute a heightened level of A(crank)? I've been well aware of the limitations of cyberspace, ever since the first BBS programs ran on a dial-in line on a Commodore 64, and it hasn't gotten any better. As for the Beta name game, I am not a botanist, nor do I play one on TV. You now seem to have chard as a sub species, which is getting close to "variety" or "landrace." I notice that even the scientific types who determine these things keep changing their minds, much to the dismay of nursery folk. I'm sure the "blocking the view" bit is a reference missing from my archives; not to worry, the biggest hat I have is a cloth fisherman's hat-think Walter Matthau. I gotta go plant something....leaving for the SSE campout next week, and I'm way behind as usual.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Reply to
Gary Woods

Is that the Society for Sensible Explanations, or Seed Saver's Exchange? Bring back a doggie bag of knowledge in any event.

Reply to
Billy

Huh? It must have been the wrong table.

Reply to
Billy

The latter; it's a 3-day road trip from here, with visits, sightseeing, etc. on the way.

Suzanne Ashworth is speaking, and I'll get the newest edition of "Seed to Seed" autographed, and possibly kiss her ring, or approach on my knees or something. Most-used book on the shelf here. Last year, quite by chance, I met Rob Johnston.

There will be lots of pictures!

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Reply to
Gary Woods

Do you go by Cleveland, or Toronto?

No electricity for campers. I hope they have hot showers.

Reply to
Billy