Backyard Fence

Page 1 of 3
Just like gardening, you gotta prepare the bed. So it probably ain't gonna happen real soon but I'm gonna lean up against this fence and see who comes by. Never can tell.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
In article

Huh?
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

A beautiful day in the neighborhood, particularly back here by the garden fence, just off Allen's Alley, and we have our first visitor, a natural conversationalist, the loquacious Ms. Omelet.
How's your pots comin'? The highs in the San Antonio area seem to be jumpin' around a bit but it looks like you could start gardening any day now. Nice thing about pots is that they're portable. If'n you're gonna catch a frost, you can always pack 'em inside at night. Whatcha' plan on plantin' sides 'maters? If you got 'maters you gotta have basil. If'n you got 'maters and basil, all you need is a red onion and some mozzarella for a salad. Lettuce and cucumbers come in handy as well for salads. I prefer the lemon cucumbers, myself. Yuh can just pick what yuh need. A little parsley is always nice, too. I don't know anyone that uses a whole parsley "bunch" at a time. If'n you're gonna plant parsley, you may as well plant some tarragon, oregano, and thyme while your at it. Aw hell, your half way to a "potager" as the "Frogs" call it. May as well lay in some shallots, rosemary, and sage too. Try to keep them close to the kitchen.
Hope you got a lot of pots. This may be gettin' a little out of control.
I'm havin' a hard time coming up with "runner" peanuts. Any ideas? If it comes to you, I'll be back here, leanin' on the fence and trying to wear-in a sweet spot.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
In article

Are you going to Scarborough fair.. Parsley Sage rosemary and time popped in head.
So did Johnny not Depp :))
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/search.aspx?scommand=search&search=gre ens
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3cdm8t
Cheese yielded
Gorgonzola Cheesecake
Les Bourgeois Bistro Yield: 16 appetizer servings
1 1/2 cups water 1/2 cup cornmeal 1 tablespoon kosher salt 1 tablespoon dried basil 1 tablespoon minced garlic 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese 5 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (2 1/2 pounds) 4 eggs 1 pound Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled 16 cloves garlic, peeled
Nonstick cooking spray Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in cornmeal, then add salt, basil and garlic.
Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan. Mold mixture into a 9 1/2- or 10-inch springform pan, forming a crust. Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, combine cream cheese, eggs and Gorgonzola; beat until smooth. Pour filling over crust, Place garlic cloves evenly around edge of cheesecake. Bake in the center of the oven for 25 minutes; rotate pan and bake about 25 minutes more, or until filling is set. Let cheesecake cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
To serve: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat a sheet pan with nonstick spray.
Run a knife between the cheesecake and the sides of the springform ring. Remove springform ring. Cut cheesecake into 16 wedges, and arrange them on the sheet pan. Bake until cheesecake is warm in the center, about 8 minutes.
-- Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com. Only recipes and recipe requests are accepted for posting. Please allow several days for your submission to appear. Archives: http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/
Rest of post below no need to look at.
------------------------------
Xref: sn-us rec.food.recipes:89983 Path: sn-us!sn-feed-sjc-02!sn-xt-sjc-11!sn-xt-sjc-09!sn-xt-sjc-13!supernews.com !border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!local02.nntp.dca.giganew s.com!nntp.swcp.com!news.swcp.com.POSTED!not-for-mail NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 20:09:26 -0600 Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes Followup-To: rec.food.cooking, rec.food.recipes Approved: snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com
Subject: Gorgonzola Cheesecake
Originator: snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com (Patricia Hill) Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 20:09:26 -0600 Lines: 42 X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.184.2.43 X-Trace: sv3-9zpQu6qReDgGMXVNOWtxLhqk+L2Npx8xyMX7SJLtO/msqgpUDcaUCnsm15rS6DsMRwjnw r/I3lX+qIX!F49FPuw46aLHwzazleJW/xjPFeTIjnQKjrqem7ZtiOyy4P+WX5oitWxf8ZjtBW TtiD+YJP/8SqEX-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com X-DMCA-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly X-Postfilter: 1.3.37
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

A little parsley is always nice, too. I don't know anyone that

Ah, fair Scarborough.

No peanuts, goobers, or ground nuts there. Gurney has Virginia peanuts. Disease resistant and big.
Henery Field's got Improved Virginia (like the above) and Early Spanish Peanuts, which are prone to disease and small.
Runner peanuts are supposed to be the state of the art for peanut flavor but I can't find them anywhere. Even looked a big commercial site (farming) and couldn't find them.
Cultivars of Runners include 'Southeastern Runner 56-15', 'Dixie Runner', 'Early Runner', 'Virginia Bunch 67', 'Bradford Runner', 'Egyptian Giant' (also known as 'Virginia Bunch' and 'Giant'), 'Rhodesian Spanish Bunch' (Valencia and Virginia Bunch), 'North Carolina Runner 56-15', 'Georgia Green', 'Flavor Runner 458', 'Tamrun OL01', 'Tamrun OL02' and 'AT-108'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut

You are dispicable. Probably would be excellent with port.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
In article

But today is my 60 th birthday. Still despicable is better than crotchety. ;))
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachis_glabrata
But not for people ;((.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather
Bill wrote:

Hey Bill, Just butting in to say, Happy Birthday! Hope you are having a great day, it sure sounds as if you are! ~Rae

Actually it has been a great day. My dad 84 went for blood work and did some shopping after surgery last week. Bladder stone stuff. This by himself. Tough Marine. He stopped by today via car and he lives 150 yards from me.
Here we have a few plants that are starting to show Bloom. My plumber stopped by this Am and I can hold him off for a few months. My wife is buying me dinner and all my kids will be here Saturday .
ALSO MY DAD SAID I CAN STEAL HIS COMPOST PILE. 20X40X5
Heave I'm in Heaven.
Bill
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

Heh heh.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=glNjsOHiBYs&feature=related

Charlie
In article

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv5zWaTEVkI

--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
In article

Thanks!
Now back to gardening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhlV0leeNLM

Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

I wonder about these from Thailand.....
http://rareseeds.com/search.php
try google "peanuts thailand"
Charlie

Yeah, I saw that. For the time bein' I'm huntin' 'Merican peanuts. Thanks for the search:-)
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi

Hey neighbor!
This should give you pause to think about what we have been learnt and illustrate some other points about what we have possibly "learnt" in our lifetimes. This article may make your ribs much more enjoyable and make you wonder about all kinds of things.
http://alternet.org/healthwellness/78554 /
Leanin' on the fence and enjoying the sunshine Chuckling Charlie

Good but disturbing read. This information has been leaking out for awhile. Trouble is that I only have one guinea pig to play with, and I'd miss me if I was gone.
You gonna chuck in your statins? Having steak and eggs, and fried potatoes for breakfast, huh, are ya, kid?
Getting more mature and becoming more conservative (not necessarily politically) seems to go hand in hand.
Lordy, lordy, what's a feller to do? At least it makes me fell a little better about some of my nutritional indiscretions. Which, except for a little gas, are the only indiscretions in which I partake these days. But I remember back in the days of yesteryear when I'd . . . . Humm. I'd probably better give ol' alligator mouth a rest.
Sweet article tho. Basically, it says we got a problem, and we know how to make money off of the problem, but we don't know what the problem is or how to fix it (cholesterol ---> cardiovascular disease?, probably not)
Sounds like it is leading us back to Michael Pollan and his discussion on macro nutrients (carbs, fats, and proteins) and macro vitamins (A, B, C, D, etc.) and his musings over the elevated levels of flavonoids (and anthocyanins?) in organically grown food, and our present omega-6/omega-3 ratio of ten (10), where historically it was one (1). The omega-6/omega-3 ratio apparently can be fixed by eating more leaves and much less grain or eating more things that eat more leaves and much less grain. I'm still dragging my heels on grass feed beef because I'd have to buy a quarter and find cold storage for it. Mean time, I'm probably eating high omega-6 smoked turkey to excess.
Then they have to throw alcohol raising triglycerides, at me. I mean, I've given up rich foods, like my gorgonzola schnitzel, and fast women (my legs aren't what they used to be), now I have to give up the one companion that I thought could follow me into that dark night?
There otta be a law.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi

The problem is perhaps best identified, and exposed, by the answer to the question "Cui bono?" And this is the question we should be asking ourselves about most issues that confront us.... ideas, techniques, illnesses, products, services...ad infinitum.
Cui bono. Who benefits. Adam Smith wrote "All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind."

Pollan, among others, has nailed it, but as you have observed, and experienced, the vile masters have done their best in luring us into a situation that very nearly precludes any choice in the matter. Or, for most people, any desire to make choices contrary to the popular wisdom.
More of a Huxleyian situation than Orwellian, I would say.
You asked about my breakfast. Grandson stayed over last nite and for breakfast he wanted bacon, eggs, and toast. Lovey and I had grits also....with butter. Lots of grits with lots of butter. Cui bono? We all did. We had a great time extolling the virtues of bacon, and mini-bacon toast sammichs and toast strips dipped in runny yolks, washed down with milk (organic, mind you) and mugs of coffee for the Elders. Carrying on about the smell of bacon frying and coffee making.
Is this healthy? The health police would tell you it isn't. But what of the benefits of the fun we had at table, the gastronomical delights, and the laughter. When it is all said and done, I wouldn't trade longer life for the joy of life we had this morning. And I'll do it again.
The easy times are coming to an end, my friend, and I am damned sure gonna enjoy every little minute like this morning.
Cui bono, Billy, cui bono. Charlie
--
``Let nothing disturb thee, nothing affright thee. All things are
passing." - St. Teresa of Avila

Oh sacred, inspired madness. Good on you Charlie, you unleashed the muses. I admire your Sisyphusian bravery but the clock keeps on running. The problem is, the older you get, the fewer days you have to barter. Intimate moments at four traded off against adolescent support at sixteen? We'll never know. I hope your wager was a good one. As I always say, you're not a real man until your first heat attack. But then, I like to play to my strength.
Good on you and your grandson.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi

Indeed the clock keeps running, and I too awaken at three, in the dark hours, and am gripped by terror, sheer terror, of dying, and I try and comfort myself with platitudes and fine thoughts and bargaining and all the five stages rush past in quick succession.
Sisyphean.....indeed it is, though not in the sense of pointlessness, but in the sense of repitition......this is a daily struggle at our age, old friend. What was once taken for granted is now grasped at on a nearly daily basis.
But what do you do? Do you try and bargain for time by following the advice of those whose primary interest is profit or do you try and take control of your destiny based upon other things that are important. How do we get all zen on this? Maybe it is my problem with "them" and my willingness to remove my nose inspite of my face. Pride cometh and all that you know.
I really do understand your point, and oftimes feel as if I am simply whistling past the graveyard, and I hope that putting things into words will solidify my desires/beliefs and attain solidarity with others who feel the same.
If I didn't fear the end, why would I be concerned about the quality of food we ingest, or the virulent way that we are destroying the biosphere upon which we depend? For my descendents? For sure. For myself as well. I fear the end as much as anyone, and hope I have the strength to face it with courage and dignity.
I'm just not sure any longer that what I have "learned" in the last few decades is valid, and feel as if I am mostly alone in the wilderness.
I mean, is trading abstinence of bacon and coffee and barleywine worth a few years and missing many years of ecstasy worth it, when in the end we all achieve the same goal? I don't know.
Hell, maybe it's just time to go to bed and hope I'll arise again in the morn and start this all over again.
Maybe I'll sleep the night without having to pee more than once and escape the night fears.
Not likely.
May you sleep well and dream of tomatoes as large as the moon.
Yer pal Charlie

Your request was granted. I started awake at 1 AM, sitting in front of the computer. I had been sleeping well, comforted in the shadows of that great, orbiting Solanum lycopersicum. Only the heater cats on the federbett could complain as I slid between the sheets to continue my nocturnal wanderings, unburdened of the details of how and why.
Get out and carp that diem my friend. I think you've already done what was intended of you. You've passed on the gift of life, as well as your dream of the Eden that is possible. From here on out, it is an adventure. There really aren't any bad endings, if ending isn't bad enough. Gotta get outta the way so that life can try again to survive.
Monsanto, Cargill, Archer Daniel Midlands, and the other unspeakables may try to foist their faux food on the harried masses but at least, in places like this, a candle has been lit (for the promise of clean air, food, and water, and community) to stave off the darkness of which Adam Smith wrote.
In regards to the chin wag about cholesterol, I've found a source of truly free range chicken eggs. Now I can put Pollan and his grass feed chickens to the test.
Gonna be a chilly day to lean on the fence. It's the third day of a serious overcast.
Oh, yeah, been meanin' to compliment you on your new pots;-)
Hasta luego
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi

I'm too tired to respond fully now.......i'll catch up with you and Rob in the morning or sometime this weekend. Both of elder son's kids are staying tonite....the granddaughter is four months now and hasn't been sleeping well lately and we decided her parents need a good nights sleep.....could be a long night for the Elders!
Crikey.....the grandson has sprained my brain. I'd forgotten how nearly five-year-old meatware works. I'll likely fall asleep with him when we head to books and bed in just a bit.
Bien dormir Charlie