Apple Tree Leave Problem?

We planted two minature Coronet apple trees 3 years ago, they have really failed to thrive, however this year there were loads of blooms, but I've noticed this bizarre pattern on the leaves, which I presume is not good and probably related to the lack of apples.
Is this sawfly? And how do I get rid of it.