Aphids on Roses

I remember reading some method to control Aphids. What should I use on my Roses?
Thanks Pat
Patsy Brown wrote:

mixed with water on anything with aphids. Pretty much have to do it several times and be sure go get the underside of leaves to get them all. HTH
George

If you cannot afford to purchase a couple of pints of ladybird beetles, my mother used to make a strong tobacco tea out of a pack of ciggy's...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Hi All, The only trouble with tobacco tea is that it kills the good insects as well as the bad. Plus the fact is is bad for your health that is why it fell into dissuse in the last century. Hope this helps you.
Richard M. Watkin.

Note, please, that I prefer ladybird beetles...
It's what I use here now as I CAN afford them.
I have a plentiful population of the larvae every spring. The only aphids I have gather on the muscadine grapes, and those (the grape leaves) are so prolific, it causes the plants no harm.
Speaking of which, companion planting is also a good alternative.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
wrote: | > > | > >> I remember reading some method to control Aphids. What should I use on | > >> my | > >> Roses? | > >> | > >> Thanks | > >> Pat | > > | > > If you cannot afford to purchase a couple of pints of ladybird beetles, | > > my mother used to make a strong tobacco tea out of a pack of ciggy's... | > | > Hi All, | > The only trouble with tobacco tea is that it kills the good insects as well | > as the bad. Plus the fact is is bad for your health that is why it fell into | > dissuse in the last century. Hope this helps you. | > | > Richard M. Watkin. | > | | Note, please, that I prefer ladybird beetles... | | It's what I use here now as I CAN afford them. | | I have a plentiful population of the larvae every spring. | The only aphids I have gather on the muscadine grapes, and those (the | grape leaves) are so prolific, it causes the plants no harm. | | Speaking of which, companion planting is also a good alternative. | -- | Peace, Om | | Remove _ to validate e-mails. | | "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson
Is there someplace special you get your ladybird beetles? I've googled but not gotten very far. Thanks.
Kimberly

Sorry. Most sites refer to them as ladybugs. :-)
Try this search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ladybugs+for+sale&btnG=Google+Search
Many gardening catalogues sell those, and other beneficials. I finally got rid of all the scale on my cactus and the vast majority of mealy bugs using Lacewing larvae from a batch of eggs I bought at a nursery in Austin.
Beneficial nematodes have also been a godsend.
I need to re-do them this year as the fire ants are once more becoming a problem.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
wrote: | > | > > | > | > >> I remember reading some method to control Aphids. What should I use | > on | > | > >> my | > | > >> Roses? | > | > >> | > | > >> Thanks | > | > >> Pat | > | > > | > | > > If you cannot afford to purchase a couple of pints of ladybird | > beetles, | > | > > my mother used to make a strong tobacco tea out of a pack of | > ciggy's... | > | > | > | > Hi All, | > | > The only trouble with tobacco tea is that it kills the good insects as | > well | > | > as the bad. Plus the fact is is bad for your health that is why it fell | > into | > | > dissuse in the last century. Hope this helps you. | > | > | > | > Richard M. Watkin. | > | > | > | | > | Note, please, that I prefer ladybird beetles... | > | | > | It's what I use here now as I CAN afford them. | > | | > | I have a plentiful population of the larvae every spring. | > | The only aphids I have gather on the muscadine grapes, and those (the | > | grape leaves) are so prolific, it causes the plants no harm. | > | | > | Speaking of which, companion planting is also a good alternative. | > | > Is there someplace special you get your ladybird beetles? I've googled but | > not gotten very far. Thanks. | > | > Kimberly | | Sorry. Most sites refer to them as ladybugs. :-) | | Try this search: | | http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ladybugs+for+sale&btnG=Google+Search | | Many gardening catalogues sell those, and other beneficials. | I finally got rid of all the scale on my cactus and the vast majority of | mealy bugs using Lacewing larvae from a batch of eggs I bought at a | nursery in Austin. | | Beneficial nematodes have also been a godsend. | | I need to re-do them this year as the fire ants are once more becoming a | problem. | -- | Peace, Om | | Remove _ to validate e-mails. | | "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson
Thank you, kindly. I knew they were ladybugs but didn't know if there was a special kind that was better than others.
I also ran across some information about the Lacewings during my travels this morning and I'm now very interested in them as well.
Beneficial nematodes! Off I go to research those now. Thanks! Yes, thanks alot. ;)
Kimberly

Most welcome!
The Nematodes are also excellent flea control...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
wrote: | | > Thank you, kindly. I knew they were ladybugs but didn't know if there was a | > special kind that was better than others. | > | > I also ran across some information about the Lacewings during my travels | > this morning and I'm now very interested in them as well. | > | > Beneficial nematodes! Off I go to research those now. Thanks! Yes, thanks | > alot. ;) | > | > Kimberly | | Most welcome! | | The Nematodes are also excellent flea control... | -- | Peace, Om | | Remove _ to validate e-mails. | | "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson
Are you saying I have fleas?
LOL
Kimberly

Heh! No, but I have cats and dogs... :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
wrote: | | > | The Nematodes are also excellent flea control... | > | > | > Are you saying I have fleas? | > | > LOL | > | > Kimberly | | Heh! No, but I have cats and dogs... :-) | -- | Peace, Om | | Remove _ to validate e-mails. | | "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson
I couldn't resist. I also have a cat and dog. Used to be plural but has gone down. Thanks again.
Kimberly

I suggest that you go dumpster diving (ashtrays, public and private) for cigarette butts (wear gloves). No since in making those drug-pushing killers any richer. Did you know that there is enough nicotine in one cigarette to kill you? Fortunately, most of it is destroyed in its' combustion. But if you could get it into your veins, bye-bye baby.
With that in mind, don't use this on anything you will put in your mouth unless you plan on spitting. This is strictly for ornamentals. Probably for ornamentals that you won't smell.
- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
In article

Mom only used it on infested rose greenery... and it worked.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.