Anyone tried to grow ahipa, or seen seeds?

Ahipa or Ajipa (Pachyrhizus ahipa) is a close relative of the yam bea

or jícama (Pachyrhizus erosus). It has large roots with a thin gre skin, which is taken off to reveal white flesh with purple fibres Having eaten it regularly in Bolivia, I can say it is delicious.

Apart from its taste, the reason I would like to try it is that it i more cold tolerant and less day-length sensitive than P. erosus, whic I don't think does too well at cool temperate latitudes. As far as can tell, its cultivation is limited to Bolivia, where I have see fields as high as 3300m (11,000 ft) which the locals told me were fo growing it, though I read something which suggested it had bee introduced to the West Indies. Has anyone tried it, or seen any seed available

-- echinosum

Reply to
echinosum