Acorn Squash

  When are they ready to be picked ?

Never planted them deliberately, but have a thirty foot by ten foot volunteer in a grassy area.

The fruits are quite large, and i've turned them to eliminate the yellow patch on the earth side, but none of us know how to tell when it's time to harvest them.

TIA

Reply to
Blues Ma

If you wish to use them for winter (baking squash) just leave them until the vines start to die. Actually you can pick them fro this purpose as soon as the stem becomes dry an woody. Some folks also use them as summer squash in which case you pick them before the skin becomes hard.

Reply to
FarmerDill

If you want to keep them for storage, leave 2 to 4 inches of stem on each squash, lay them on the back porch for 5 to 10 days to finish curing, and them put them in the coolest room in the house.

I had some winter squash last until this spring from my 2002 harvest.

Have fun. Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne - storage is what i have in mind, too many to eat just now.

Reply to
Blues Ma