Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Fig Brown Turkey
My fig plant is new this year, growing as a standard & I have been pleased to see fruit on the tree. Unfortunately, something appears to have been trying to steal the figs & in the process has broken...
6
6

Psylla infestation
My lemon tree has a bad infestation of psylla. Can anyone give me tips on how to treat the tree? Perhaps a recipe for an organic pesticide. HELP, please:) Thanks
3
3

Garlic Bulbils for the Adventurous
Thanks to my incomplete removal of scapes from hardneck garlic this summer, I have a number of bulbils-the little topset bulblets that grow on top of the foliage. They're a good way to add new...

Courgettes...
Anyone else grown courgettes? You see, I think I planted far too many this year. Seriously hundreds of them grew, and when we went away for a week we came back to find courgettes the width of...
4
4

Cooler weather is coming
We hope. SoCal has been suffering from a big heat wave but in spite of that we're preparing to plant the cool weather veggies soon. Based on what we've liked in the past we will have snowpeas, a...
5
5

It's raining
We have been in an "abnormally dry" condition for some time, but it is raining today and the forecast says it will be for another day or two. What's left of my garden will appreciate it and so with...
3
3

Potato plant stem problem
Hi all Yesterday we had some strong winds which have flattened the stems of my potato plants (main crop growing in bags). It looks as though they've been damaged to the point where they won't...
3
3

Cucumbers
Can you cut the attachment stringy things and redirect the plant? MJ
5
5

Storing Sweet Potatoes
We planted sweet potatoes for the first time this year and had a bumper crop. I googled about how long they could be stored and got answers ranging from three weeks to eight months. Has anyone had...
8
8

Mulch containers.
Hello, I mowed yesterday using my bag on the mower . Because leaves are falling. . And got two contractor bags full of leaves and grass. Think 55 gallon barrel bag size. Can I leave them in the bags...
12
12

Need help with storing too many red chile peppers
Our supply of ground chimayo chile (from a woman in Chimayo, NM) is finally almost gone so this year instead of planting anaheims I set plants started from twelve year old chimayo seeds. Thinking they...
3
3

A new one on me: ants farming aphids below ground.
My wife pulled up the Bhringraj(eclipta alba) this morning and we found one ant clinging to the plant just above the soil and aphids attached to the roots. This is a new one on me but once I got...
8
8

End of garden post
Hello, I'm hoping for some input. I'm pretty much done gardening this year. . I've got a few tomatoes and peppers left. My eggplants did awesome. I'm looking forward to next year already and my...
10
10

Propagating Rootstock
Hello Everyone. My first post. I live in an area in BC, Canada, that has old dying apple orchards. These orchards have been abandoned and the forest is reclaiming the land. At one time in the late...
1
1

Quince Mites
I harvested the quinces this weekend planning to make wine of them. I only got about a third of the gross weight as usable quince flesh because there were a lot of bad spots on them. One interesting...