Cooler weather is coming

We hope. SoCal has been suffering from a big heat wave but in spite of that we're preparing to plant the cool weather veggies soon. Based on what we've liked in the past we will have snowpeas, a variety of lettuces, golden beets (for both the greens and the beetroots). What are other favorites or new things that we might add to this list? - aem

Reply to
aem

Just saw LA was hitting 112.f today. Whew....So micro climate touches are in order. I'd think shade and traditional desert gardening. Where to start?

Search Hopi Desert etc

Reply to
Bill who putters

I suggest you try growing 'baby bok choi' (Shanghai bok choi, Qing choi, ching chang) in your winter garden. Lovely green vegetable!

Simple way to prepare it:

Pat Kiewicz

it:

We did last year and it was so prolific we got overdosed on it. If we put it in this year it'll be just a few plants. Delicious and goes with many different things but we just grew too much. Besides the stir fry recipe you cited, we sometimes just briefly steam it and then add it to other things like fried rice. -aem

Reply to
aem

I'd be tempted to add some leftover Yang. Eg Meat shell fish etc.

................................ Yunnan Greens Recipe courtesy Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid Show: Cooking Live Episode: Food Rx: Hot Sour Salty Sweet This recipe is available for a limited time only. Why?

Recipe Summary

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 4, as one of several dishes in

1 pound bok choy or Shanghai bok choy (5 to 8 heads) 1 tablespoon salt 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil 2 Thai dried red chiles 1/ 2 teaspoon minced ginger 1/2 cup mild vegetable broth or water 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water

Place a large pot of water on to boil. Meanwhile, cut the bok choy lengthwise into thirds or quarters and place in a sink full of cold water to soak for several minutes. Wash thoroughly to get any dirt out of the base of the stalks.

When the water is boiling, add about 1 tablespoon salt, bring back to the boil, and add the bok choy. Stir with a long-handled wooden spoon to make sure all the greens are immersed. Bring back to a boil, boil for under a minute, drain, and set aside.

Heat a large wok over high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the wok. Toss in the chiles and ginger. Stir briefly, then add the greens and stir-fry for 30 seconds, pressing them against the sides of the wok to sear them a little. Add the broth and let it boil for about 30 seconds. Stir the cornstarch paste well, then add it together with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir-fry for another 15 to 30 seconds, turn out onto a small platter, and serve. (Warn your guests that the chiles are not for eating, just for flavor.)

Reply to
Bill who putters

what is this group all about? thanks!

Reply to