TV Arm on plasterboard wall - holes there now.

Page 1 of 2

OK. So I didnt use the right rawlplug first time around and the screws/ plugs have pulled out the hole. Holes are big enough to put your finger in.
What should I do now (got correct plugs now)?
Fill the hole and then drill into this or fill it but move an inch or two along to a solid piece of wall?
paulfoel wrote:

First, what sort of wall construction is this? Is it plasterboard dry lining (ie, attached to brickwork or blocks, and therefore with solid material beneath) or is this a hollow stud partition?
There are different solutions depending on what you've got, but one thing for sure is that plasterboard on its own is way inadequate to support the weight of a TV, regardless of what rawlplugs you use (as I suspect you've discovered).
David
Lobster wrote:

Yup. He's right. This is where you remove enough plasterboard to find something solid, attach some wood to it, and put the plasterboard back and re-skim and repaint..then think about mounting the bracket..

Umm. Dunno. Seems to be plasterboard then a space then brick. Its an outside wall of a Barratt house (built in the last 10 years).
BTW. Its not a heavy TV. Its a 15" LCD.

It's probably block, not brick behind the PB.

I hung some speakers up in a similar build flat years ago - they were probably about as heavy as your TV.
If you can find a "dab" where the plasterboard is fixed to the wall, mount the bracket on that and through into the blocks - that dab will be enough to prevent the plasterboard crushing when you do the screws up.
Allow an extra inch on the fixings to clear the PB and the gap. Frame fixings might also work quite well in this scenario but I've not tried.
If there isn't a convenient dab, I'd fall back to previous suggesstions about cutting the PB out and inserting wood - or perhaps glueing the PB back on solid PB adhesive which would achieve the same effect.
Cheers
Tim
In wibbled:

I have successfully used window frame fixings for this. The hammer-in type work well, so long as there is plenty of depth into the brickwork.
Chris R
--

Regards

Chris Robinson

I hung an aircon unit on such a wall by using the metal rawlbolts which just have a long threaded bolt sticking out. You tighten a nut up against the brick wall to lock the rawlbolt in, but then you add another two nuts (and washers, and shake-proofs or locking nuts), the first flush with the plasterboard face, against which you fix the bracket with the second. There's a bending force on the threaded bolts, so I used over-size bolts so they didn't bend (I probably over-did it -- I could hang from the bracket myself without it visibly moving at all). The unit looks like it's hanging on the plasterboard, but actually it isn't using the plasterboard at all.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Tim S wrote:

I've been told that a thermal imaging camera is very handy for locating the dabs due to their cold bridging.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Oh..usual trick then.
Stuff a page of the Daily Mail down the hole to support a great gob of car body filler which you will use to form a nice load bearing drillable entity. Paints well too..
On 31 July, 10:16, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote:

That'll hang from plasterboard if you're hanging it *flush* to the wall because most of the load will be pulling-down on the plasterboard, but if you're using a tilt/swivel bracket or similar then the load will be pulling-out from the plasterboard and that is where plasterboard is weak.
Owain

Its a tilt/swivel.
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 04:59:59 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you've got blockwork behind, then why not just fasten to the blockwork? If you want to avoid cutting holes and making good to get battens in there, then how about long screws, oversized holes in the plasterboard and large diameter dowel in there as spacers (or a lot of washers!), so that the fixing is to the blockwork, but the screws tighten the plate up against the dowels and the dowels against the blockwork, so the plasterboard is not taking any of the load?
SteveW

An interesting point. I only know one MP personally. Looking at his lifestyle, I think he's reasonably clean as far as expenses go. If the next witch-hunt is about freebie jaunts around the world he might suffer a bit :-)
Apart from that, my information comes from the media. When they report on something I know about, the tendency is to get it consistently and grossly wrong. Or they focus obsessively on a minor aspect of the subject.
Anyway, that blog DOES read like saloon bar ranting or the Mirror on a bad day :-)

I know several, and I know one of the famous "spin doctors". Words like "clean" don't apply. Terms like "self-serving scumbags willing to lie throught their teeth to the electorate to further their selfish aims" do apply. The electorate should closely scrutinise their elected representatives. At present we dont. However even the most shallow investigation reveals things that should act as glaring great alarm bells. For example, a typical MP is as poor as a churchmouse before gaining office. Nowadays the most typical MPs work as parliamentary researchers, hack journalists, local authority clerks and local councillors before becoming MPs. All of these are low paid or unpaid "professions".
How then do MPs manage to live in the Mercedes driving, stockbroker belt life style on 64,000 a year? Houses in my local constituency are priced around the hald-million pound mark, upwards. The *average* price in the village where my MP lives is 1.1 million. Before election he really was a no-income nobody. So how did he manage to move shortly after election to a home in that village, complete with all the trimmings of a lifestyle more lavish than people on salaries of >300,000 a year? Oh, and with an expensive London home as well?
A quick perusal of his expenses in the Telegraph gives a hint.
These individuals largely learn how to guzzle at the public trough as councillors who are supposedly volunteers but who trouser in excess of 70,000pa in expenses.
There are a few "decent" ones around, but I suspect that the electorate in general wouldn't like MPs like them. For example, Ms Widdecombe shows admirable fiscal restraint as does Mike Hancock from Portsmouth South. I can't see either of them fulfilling the electorate's desires for representation.
On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 11:51:59 +0100, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

Ever considered drinking in a better class of pub?
On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 11:51:59 +0100 Steve Firth wrote :

My MP, before moving to Australia, was the outstanding Vince Cable. Rated 100% clean by the Telegraph. Also someone with a very impressive CV who gave up a very well paid job (chief economist of Shell Oil) to become an MP. But he's twice been passed over as party leader on the grounds that he's too old and not charismatic enough. If you want youthful charisma and no gravitas then I guess Dave is your next PM.
--
Tony Bryer, \'Software to build on\' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com
Tony Bryer wrote:

Sadly, I have to agree. I am a rare beast, a paid up member of the LimDems for more years than I wish to state, though I suffer from hip problems and would have had milk bottle glasses years ago, (to give my age away).
There have only been two politicians in the recent past that I have any regard for: Frank Field and Vince Cable. Both talk sense.
There are two that I despise: the grinning idiot and his successor. The successor has done much to ensure that we have strikes in the future as publically paid workers complain about endeavours to reduce their pensions due to the evil actions of Brown. The Idiot has destroyed pensions for the UK. "I think I'll sell gold at its lowest price". What a prat. Clueless is a word that comes to mind.
Shutting up Frank Field, as the grinning idiot did was destructive to resolving issues that need to be addressed. I hope (with low expectation) that Vince Cable could play a more major role.
On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:09:37 +0100 Clot wrote :

Check out http://www.the-privateer.com/chart/gold-pf.html and you will see (1) if you mask off the post 2001? part there is no reason to expect that the price would have moved in the way it has; and (2) that if the Conservatives were that clever they could have sold off the UK gold reserves in Jan 1983 or Dec 1987 and bought them back a year or two later for half the price. Instead they borrowed billions at interest rates much higher than now whilst holding onto a asset whose value was going nowhere - about as sensible as getting cash advances on your credit card whilst having a stack of banknotes under the bed. And if GB was uniquely clueless, everyone else having a crystal ball, then loads of people have every reason to be grateful to him for giving them such an undeserved windfall.
--
Tony Bryer, \'Software to build on\' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com
wall though as it was two sheets of plaster board with corrugated cardboard between.

Whatever you do, do it properly. Only a few weeks ago a young child died as a TV pulled out its mounting brackets and fell on her:-(
George