TRVs,Mother in law, & woodburner

Hi,

Please help me. I am a bloke who actually has to live with his mother in law.

I've recently fitted a woodburner in my lounge. It is proving to be very efficient heating for the room. I have gas central heating with rads throughout the house including the Mother in Laws 'quarters' upstairs. I have fitted Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRVs) on all her rads. Most of the downstairs rads have normal valves.

The problem is the central heating thermostat is in the hall downstairs and appears to be influenced by hot air from woodburner and radiator in hall ( normal valves). This turns off the central heating leaving Mother in Law in danger of chilblanes ! (and unable to ride her broomstick)

At present I'm turning up the thermostat to compensate for the extra heat to maintain a comfy temep for M in Law. I'm concerned that this will waste my hard earned cash.

I've considered installing TRVs on all rads but have heard this is dangerous and some rads should be left with normal valves.

I've thought of relocating the CH thermostat to the 'witches lair' for her convenience,or it possible to fit another thermostat in parallel thus enabling M in law to override the system when her core temperature drops.??

Any central heating Gurus can offer me advice on how to keep everybody happy please feel free.

Cheers,

Stu.

Reply to
Stuart

get rid of the mother-in-law!

Reply to
vw-stuff

So the situation is really that you need to heat up the MIL without unnecessarily using the other radiators.

I think that you are close to the ideal solution as it is. Keep the MIL's TRVs on her desired temperature and configure the heating so that it is on a simple timer (say on all day and off at night). If you keep the other radiators switched off, then all you are doing is heating the MIL's lair (no waste). If you need a bit of warmth in the rest of the house then turn the other radiators on a bit. If you need more precise control of the rest of the house, then fit TRVs on more rads.

John

Reply to
John

You could always move the main thermostat up nearer the MILs quarters, charge up the broomstick and pack her off to sunny Spain...

and install a cat!

chas

Reply to
chas