Toilet Cisterns etc ?

I am wanting to replace the low level toilet that I have with a cisten that hangs on the wall and a short flush pipe to the pan.
Is there a difference in the actual cisterns used for what I want and what I have or is it just that the low level way of fixing to the pan requires a fixing kit with 2 bolts etc.
It may be that if there is no difference, then I can just change the pan.
Thanks as always for your help.
--
the_constructor

Don\'t tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.
On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:05:23 +0100, "the_constructor"

That is a low level.

Dunno, not sure what it is you want.

I am a little lost as to what you actually have and what you want. I'm not overly convinced you actually have the right terminology in use here.
Close coupled; <
http://www.4bathrooms.co.uk/store/images/T/Tiffany%20wc-01.jpg
Low level; <
http://www.bathroomcity.co.uk/images/products/20-884.JPG
High level; <
http://www.bathroomcity.co.uk/images/products/20-865.jpg
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Ah, yes it rather looks like I got all the terminology wrong as you say Stuart.
My thanks for the links, very helpful.
I have a close coupled toilet at the moment and would like this taken out and a Low level toilet fetted.
Is the same cistern used for both the low level toilet and close coupled toilet (the latter being fixed with a clamp plate underneath), because if it is, I will only need to replace the toilet pan.
Hope that better explains things.
--
the_constructor

Don\'t tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "the_constructor"

Usually, yes. If you remove the close-coupling kit (the plate with the slotted holes) and simply put a pair of L-brackets on the wall, the cistern will sit on them happily, combined with the screws into the wall to actually secure it.
Most close-coupled toilets use an ordinary cistern (part of the manufacturers' range that matches the style of the toilet pan) that is made to be a close-coupled one by the kit.
--

Dave

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:31:25 +0100, "the_constructor"

Yep, bit clearer now. You need a new pan and cistern!
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Not necessarily a new cistern, unless it simply doesn't match the new pan.
--

Dave

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:11:27 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

Suppose you could seal up the fixing holes and use a close coupled cistern, but you might also need to change the syphon. FWIW I'd just change the lot, but you may not need to depending on how bodgey you are.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Lurch

I'm assuming the PO is a bit skint or has a sentimental attachment to his old cistern [1]. I'm also assuming it's one without fixing holes in it, but even if it has it's easy to block them off.
[1] For example, I've been offered a Victorian cast iron cludgie cistern which I'll use to replace the one that was destroyed by the PO of my building - fekcing vandal the man was.
--

Dave

the_constructor wrote:

You are unlikely to get a colour match - there are an amasing numbers of white 'shades'.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

He has a toilet and he wants to get stuck in. Don't hold him back.