Timed light switching query

Hi all, I installed a remote controlled automatic sliding gate last year which has a 240v output feed for a courtesy light which is latched on for approx 15 minutes after operation of the gate, either closing or opening. I have bought myself a couple of bulkhead lights to connect up to this but the missus wants them wired up so that they only operate during the hours of darkness. Can anyone please give me some advice as to the best possible way to do this. Thanks for any input,
Franko.

Or something similar.
Or see their low energy lights with sensors that switch on at night and off at dawn

Thanks Alan, I was after something a bit more user friendly than a circuit board though ( I'm a bit lazy) :) I've looked at the low energy bulbs with built in sensors but I reckon the warm up time would negate the whole idea of instant light when arriving home in the dark, thanks anyway. Franko.

I did say or something similar. google on photocell turn lights Gives loads of responses

Franko wrote:

http://www.ryness.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID '13
If it works the same as a similar one I have (no longer manufactured), you can wire it in series with your lights and when it gets a supply from the gate controller, there will be a second or two pause and then the lights will come on (if dark enough) or not (if in daylight). I needs a neutral as well as line in and out.
Obviously it needs to be sighted where it won't be directly illunminated by the lamps...
Mine was a lot cheaper, so worth shopping around.
--
Sue

by the bulkhead lights when in operation affecting the sensor so that may be another problem, maybe i should look at a timer system instead....? Cheers.
Franko wrote:

nuisance if there is a power failure and the clock loses its settings.
An ambient light sensor is arguably a better solution - it doesn't matter if a little light from the lamps falls on the sensor, as long as it isn't looking directly at the bulb.
--
Sue

I thought of the timer problem only after I posted the message - I think I'll go with one of those sensors after all, Thanks again, Franko.

I assume "the missus" wants to save a bit of electricity, in which case I would have thought reducing the 15 minutes to, say, 3 mins would be a far more effective solution. (If it's not adjustable, I'd want to know why not....?)
And if that's not feasible, you could simply take a feed from the local street lamps :-))))
--
Martin

The gate motor is from Italy as far as I can tell and I can't make a hell of a lot of sense of the installation instructions - let alone the wiring diagram, I think 15 mins is a bit too much too but I'll probably end up sticking with it and putting in a couple of low energy bulbs in the future to stop me feeling so guilty about wasting electricity. No streetlamps within 100 metres I'm afraid so the cost for cabling would outweigh the cost of electricity :)
Franko.