Sky

Hi Folks
I have been asked by an old pal if I can get hold of a new Sky viewing card for him He says
"Ive got this Sky Sat-receiver telling me I need to replace my viewing card (free channels) or else Can any of you help me out?
and
"Hey Mike, To get such a card, you need an UK-address, I dont have one So, my question is: can someone send me a new card ? Pretty please with cream on top Dutch TV really sucks!"
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a new card for receiving the free channels?
Mike
Not quite what you're asking, but ...
I'm not aware of much, certainly nothing worthwhile, that is available via FreesatFromSky (formerly FreeToView - FTV) that is not also available to an industry-standard FTA receiver via Freesat ... http://www.freesat.co.uk / http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html Although the Freesat footprint from Astra 2D is deliberately restricted ... http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2d.html ... I would imagine that most/all of the Freesat channels are receivable in Holland without a viewing card. I'm not certain, but I suspect that if the card lapses, the Sky box will mostly function like a FTA receiver, so he won't have much of a problem.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:48:19 -0000, "Muddymike"

BTW, if anyone is confused about the differences between FTA, FTV, etc (and why shouldn't they be when BSkyB's variants were deliberately chosen to be confused with the *genuinely* free variants), or anything else to do with satellite or terrestrial TV, then this section of my website may help ... http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/AudioVisualTV.html ... particularly (for FTA/FTV etc) ... http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/AVTVGlossary.html http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/TVInTheUK/TVInTheUK.html ... and (for satellite TV): http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/SatelliteTV/SatelliteTV.html

Muddymike wrote:

Famous last words, but the old viewing cards haven't been switched off yet, and the message has been appearing (around 1930 GMT?) for many months now.
I couldn't find any way to get a free card from Sky. they charge 20 for a Freesat from Sky card. No strings attached! And I got it delivered to my UK address, so you should have no problems.
Richard