Self levelling compound

I have laid self levelling compound onto quarry tiles as it was uneven. the quarry tiles are sound with no movement. It levelled nicely but today i have looked and there are cracks and slight movement where the cracks are it is as if the compound has not adhered although the floor was thoroughly cleaned. Any advice on what i have done wrong! Any tips or suggestions what will remedy this.

Jayne

Reply to
sticki

Quarry tiles might be too porous. The compound would then dry out too quick causing the cracking and the failure to adhere properly. Also these compounds aren't very good, especially if laid thinly.

PVA on the tiles a few hours before applying the compound might solve the prob.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Self levelling compound needs to be laid in at least half inch thick,as this is what happens when its too thin ie it cracks in the most thinnest parts of the levelling.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Duh!

The tip: If you're willing to shell out? bond the the SLC that is already down with dilluted PVA,mask the cracked areas with plasterers scrim tape and bond over it.

Mix and throw down at the very least 3 to 4 bags of the SLC again.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Does it? Oh well, the stuff I put down in my hall was, oh at least 3mm thick. It's survived the onslaught of two boys, my workbench and deity knows what else for the last 6 years. Mind you it is laid down on the concrete floor so it is pretty well supported and has vinyl tiles (I'm tasteful you see) on top.

The stuff (latex screed) my friendly tiler did for me in the kitchen is even thinner.

Reply to
malc

Good for you. Vinyl Tiles,Tastful, hahahaha! ya kidding right?

Sound,now if you know the thinnest part tap it with a hammer.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I trust this bloke. He's been in the trade for yearsandyearsanyears.

Reply to
malc

If it's tiled over, has a sound base and has adhered well it'll be fine. If it's laid too thin it can crack dry out too quick & fail to adhere, this is where PVA comes in.

Is the original poster planning to tile over the quarry tiles?

I tiled over mine after the kitchen extension was done, they were chipped, & some were missing. I used a waterproof adhesive which IIRC could be laid up to 10mm thick to even out the surface. There were deeper holes where tiles had been removed, I filled these with concrete and allowed to dry. The finish was excellent.

I can't remember the adhesive name but is was sold in 5kg powder bags, and is grey. It's also flexible, before we had the extension we tiled over part of the dining room floor, enlarging the kitchen. This is a 70 year old suspended floor with a little movement. No cracks appeared in the 7 years or so there were down.

Reply to
Mike