Removing kitchen wall tiles...easy?

Her indoors wants new countertop. New one is 40mm thickness whereas old one is 28mm. This will mean removing kitchen wall tiles. Is this a simple job or will I end up with half the plaster off the wall(s) as well as the tiles! Or worse still, half the tiles and plaster off and the rest immovable! Regards Patrick
There is no answer to your question as it could be relatively easy or it could rip your walls apart! I think you will have to assume that you will lose some of the plaster off the wall but if you are re tiling this part again not so bad as the tiles will cover any defects. I have just recently re tiled and I just filled in the worst of it and then tiled on top of it. To get the tiles off I made my own tool after trying several bolsters type tolls etc. I got an 18 legnth of 1 inch tube and flattened the end of it, this was ideal for thumping in behind the tiles to ease them off. I am not a tiler but that is my views

Once you get the first tile off, it should be a simple case of getting behind each tile with something and tapping with a hammer. Each time Ive done it, often they just "ping" off the wall complete.
I wouldnt worry about it.

a good tool to use for removing tiles is a stripping knife, make sure you get an expensive one with metal right to the end of the handle.
I got a Hamilton one from eBay for a fiver :-)
If it's only to fit the new worktop that you want to remove the tiles (ie not because they're hideous), why not just cut off the bottom 12mm with a disc cutter?

Yes I'm considering this very idea...any suggestions as regards avoiding excessive dust?
Get an assistant to hold a vacuum cleaner tube close to cut point? Not easy and not fully effective but mitigates. Jerry