Removing grout sheen from wall tiles

I've just put up some mosaic wall tiles. I've ended up with a bit of a grout sheen which is provinbg hard to remove simply by rubbing with a damp sponge. Can anyone recommend a method of getting rid of this?

Thanks,

R.

Reply to
Reuben_D

I use a bit of wood with the end cut square. Used like a scraper. however, if you have small mosaic tiles it may be a bit more of a fiddle doing each "bit" individually. :¬(

Reply to
Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk

The rough side of a 'scrubbing' sponge/pad. Or wire wool. If it digs into/gouges out the grout, then the grout isnt on well enough. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Yup, stop rubbing with a damp sponge - it will keep coming back.

Let it dry, then polish off the dust with some kitchen paper towels.

Reply to
John Rumm

We have some of that on our tiled bathroom from about 2 years ago. I can't see your method working, but there again, I have not got a round tuit for all that time.

Having said that, I did have to grind a drill the other day and after 10 years it worked a treat first time. Its about time I up lifted my method to the FAC.

Reply to
Dave

'Limelite' works a treat. Get it from Tesco et al.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

yes. Even brick acid if the tiles are NOT marble or calcium carbonate based.

Be VERY careful with some descalers. I've permanently discolored teh chrome on some taps using too heavy descalers on them.

For marble, the best bet is to seal hard *before* grouting: then you can use the descalers and they won't attack the marble TOO much. like 50 times less than the grout.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And don't get it in/on an enameled steel bath -- it dissolves the polished enamel surface, permanently wrecking it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't know what the binder is in this particular grout but it's highly unlikely to be affected by acid I would have thought.

ISTR epoxy grout being recommended for mosaics. That being the case, paint stripper might well be the only thing that will touch it.

Reply to
stuart noble