Reliable and Flexible Corgi Plumber Wanted - Mid Herts

Page 2 of 2

There must be many thousands of houses on sale with older but perfectly safe installations.
If this is to be the case, rather than selling with everything untested, sounds like a nice little earner for some. But of course in a seller's market the cost will simply be passed on.
--
*Always remember you\'re unique, just like everyone else.

Which excludes yours.

What is the nice little earner is that in rented properties (25% of the housing stock?) there has to be a gas check *every year*.
--
Tony Bryer SDA UK \'Software to build on\' http://www.sda.co.uk
On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:58:54 +0000, DavidM wrote:

Take a look at the gas fitting FAQ. Email me - may be I can help. However the replacement boiler would have to be condensing and I doubt that installing one would cause you to have the whole house replumbed.
Even if you were able to claim exemption (from a condensing unit) you would still need to comply with the other Energy efficiency measures which would almost certainly mean a new HW cylinder and TRVs.

concern about doing any of it myself, including the gas safety checks, on a non condensing boiler. The main thing I'm missing is the ability to test for flue gases. My HW cylinder is fairly new (5 years) and I have some TRVs fitted and a few more will be no problem while I'm doing the job. I have already purchased the replacement conventional boiler, last year, but personal circumstances delayed the project I'm more concerned with getting a third party check of my work, from a competent engineer, mainly from a safety perspective, than anything else. David
DavidM wrote:

Two things spring to mind: Choose a boiler where no setting up or testing of flue gasses is required (e.g. some of the Ideal wall hung boilers), or buy a gas analyser. The latter would probably cost less than getting a man in with one!
--
Cheers,

John.

Sign off an illegal boiler ?

--
geoff

writes

I want to get rid of an old fireplace (horrible orange tile job) but there is a gas fire stood in front of it. I've been told (by the council who I had to get permission from to do this) that I've got to get a Corgi registered person to disconnect the gas fire and then reconnect it once the fireplace has been removed. This is a very simple job that could be done by almost anyone but looks as though its going to cost a fortune (and thats if I can find someone who is willing to do such a quick and simple thing!).
On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 22:10:57 GMT, "Bernice Carter"

Remove the fire. Do work. Retighten the connection. Turn on the gas. Check the tightened connection with soapy water. Save 200 for 2 minutes work. Don't mention it to anyone. (Unless you are a landlord and it's a tenants fitting, in which case, pay up and cry)
Bernice Carter wrote:

there's a lesson for you !
you ought to have removed the gas fire, competently, with full adherence to the regulations, ripped out the tiled fireplace and back boiler, revealed the builders opening and taken it from there. a dirty but simple job, as you say, and one you are, legally, allowed to do yourself.
obv, if you are not able to deduce that for yourself then, perhaps, you are not a *competent* person and ought to dig deep and cough up to someone who is at least able to work the /above/ out for themselves ;-)
HtH
writes

I understand the sign off issue, hence the (?) against that item. I'm more concerned with getting a third party check of the safety aspects for my own peace of mind than the bureaucracy of it all - I'll take that risk David

in breaking the law - putting his signature to an illegal installation
You could say check over I suppose
--
geoff

writes

Why would it be illegal if the BCO has been notified?

has been illegal to fit a non-condensing boiler
--
geoff

writes

OK, I thought you meant illegal because it was self-installed.