Re: Freezer question, your experience.

Page 2 of 4

I guess it's a question of "compared to what?" -- I took him to mean that cellars will be warmer in summer, and cooler in winter, than other parts of the house.
If he meant that the cellar is warmer in summer than the cellar is in winter, yes, that's obviously true.
Doug Miller wrote

Its obvious he meant compared with those other seasons.

More fool you.

And thats clearly what he meant given the context that you deleted from the quoting and I have restored.
Miller) wrote:

The statement is perfectly true. Think about the reference temperature..
greg
On Jun 2, 7:01 am, snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Fake ID) wrote:

4pint plastic jugs don;t....

Never had *any* size milk carton burst in the freezer.
MBQ

I've only ever frozen 4 pinters (didn't want to upset the edantic police....err....)
Jim K

== I'll go along with that conclusion as well. ==
On Jun 2, 7:09 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

who said anything about cardboard milk cartons?
frozen coke cans just pop out the inverted base if yyou freeze them (over here anyways ;>))
Jim K
wrote

The coke cans do but I can assure you that cans of Stella pop the ring pulls if left in a freezer.
Adam

That still doesn't make sense. how do they expel the frost, scrape it off and then toss it out somehowwww??? They might mean a self- defrosting freezer, that would make some sense at least.
hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote

It does actually, tho its been dumbed down like with so many sales speils.

Just replace the new air that has just entered when the lid was opened with dry air that has been passed over the chiller coils so the frost doesnt form inside the freezer where it gets deposited on the food etc.
Thats how the frost free system works.

They arent self defrosting, they just ensure that the frost never forms inside the freezer, the air deposits the mosture outside the freezer before it gets into the freezer.
Thats how any frost free system works.

Both types have pros and cons - I've always been under the impression that the upright types allow a lot of coldness to 'escape' when the door is open compared to chest freezers.
Just how this impacts on electricity usage in the real world, I don't know. *If* it does at all...
The big downside with chest freezers you've already mentioned :) OTOH, if you have a need to put something large in a freezer (the neighbours body... or whatever) - then the chest freezer would be ideal.
I currently have a chest freezer, but am considering an upright as a future replacement.

That isn't really true -- at most, one or two pounds of cold air escapes and is replaced with warm air. That has almost zero effect on the temperature inside.
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:48:30 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

How does non-pressurized air have weight?
-sw

The same way anything else has weight. Did you really think that air weighs nothing?
BTW, there's no such thing as "non-pressurized air". The air you're breathing right now has a pressure of 1 atmosphere, equal to about 14.7 pounds per square inch.
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:40:45 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

jeez, no wonder i'm wheezing. i thought it was the cigarettes.
your pal, blake
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:40:45 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

Yes. All my scales currently read "0". Yet sitting on top of them are billions of cubic feet of air.
OK, So I had to look it. I don't know the logic behind it, but 1 cubic foot of air at standard temperature and pressure assuming average composition weighs approximately 0.0807 lbs.
So to understand your comment, one would have to know the weight of 0F (approximately) air and then convert that to cubic feet to get any sort of sense what the fuck you actually mean.
Anybody know that off the top of their head? (Some dumbass will of course look it up, post it, and claim they knew it. but this is Usenet - shit like that is a given).
-sw

lol
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Let us know when you own a scale that has 5 sides in a vacuum and just the measuring part exposed to air.
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 14:32:34 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

Dude, I got one right here. But how do I use that to determine how much cold air I'm losing when I open my freezer?
-sw