Porthole Window ideas???

Hi All
We were hoping that some of you guys might be able to come up with some suggestions We Live in Jelson built house that has a round porthole window in the "box room", baby girls room. At the moment we have a piece of round foam covered in material blocking the window. We would like something else to cover the window as this window lets in a lot of light from sun and street lights. Has anyone else manage to come up with any ideas???
Hope you can help (can post picture if required via tinypic.com)
Tony & Debs
Tony&Debs wrote:

http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/images1/nebra_disc2_sm.jpg ?
On Tue, 02 May 2006 21:10:46 GMT, "Tony&Debs"

frame.

mmm good idea but want something that will block the light also, without looking too naff..
Tony
On Tue, 02 May 2006 21:22:31 GMT, "Tony&Debs"

mind. :))
EricP wrote:

lol
If they had loads of money they could get a SPD window installed, but then the power suppply to has to stay on all day, and I'm not sure about the cost of that. Would be the best option though :-)
Here's a link which explains it a bit. (Suspended Particle Device) http://www.ltismartglass.com/evtp.htm and http://www.ltismartglass.com/evtpbfs.htm
The tints can be varied to suit and almost total blackout can be acheived. :-)

EricP wrote:

Sorry :-) I'll go back to the washing up etc :-)
Tony&Debs wrote:

If you did get some kind of circular artwork you could always just put a nail up above the window for night time and one to the side of the window, and just hang the artwork on that one in the daytime... http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=circular+art&svnum &hl=en&lr=&safe=offIf the artwork was convex, it would be better at surrounding the windowedges for light stoppage. What are you like at papier mache?
http://www.ibiblio.org/ocag/artists/kristin_leonard/images/leonard_kristin_orang_f6_3.jpg
On Tue, 02 May 2006 21:22:31 GMT, "Tony&Debs"

If it isn't too big you could make a circular shutter out of ply or mdf . Paint it then slice it in two and hinge it on either side of the window.
EricP wrote:

Oh, that'll look, nice ;-)
How about a starry night pic made from blackout backed felt, with nice shapes cut out in white or silver. Or some material to match the rooms furnishings? But then you still have to have somewhere to stick the thing, and be left with velcro around the edge in the daytime.
More ideas needed...
Tony&Debs wrote:

How about a horizontal bar and two, oriental-style, "hand fans", one above and one below, fixed to the bar?
It wouldn't take a lot to make them up to size.
--
Sue

You beat me to it Sue but why not make a full circle one, fixed by a single thin vertical pedestal. Should be near invisible when closed.
This sort of stylee:
http://www.chinesegallery.com/images/fans/deskfans/peacock.jpg
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
fred wrote:

That's fantastic :-)
/runs off quick
Tony&Debs wrote:

The piece of round foam is actually a good idea, if you could just make it look like a cushion you can just lob it on the chair in the morning Some nice candy twist rope piping around the edge (yuck) :-)
If you take a picture in digital format that you like you can take it to a proffesional lab and they can print it out on a large transfer for you to put on material.
I'd like to suggest a peice of 'blackout curtain' (available from QVC and other curtain retail outlets), maybe faced (covered in) a similar material to other curtains in the room or house? I used double sided carpet tape down both sides and bottom for a closer fit.
I use the curtains to good effect, even with a curtain pole that is well 'proud' of the frame by about 37mm. I manage a dusk like room atmoshere most of the day, with just a little daylight showing rhrough the top edge.
HTH John
I've alreadyreplied to this query, but had other thoughts on the issue. I'd like to suggest a product from screwfix (http://www.screwfix.com ) initially intended for security in commercial and industrial vans, may just work a treat in this case.
It's 'Limo Black Window Film 30" x 60" (ref no: 34668)', self adhesive and infinately 'shapeable????' ermmm :- /
Regards and good luck
John