Pilkinton K Glass

I am in the process of specifying windows and doors for my garage conversion. Being a downstairs area, and as part of it will be an office, security is important. Does Toughened K glass offer much benefit over Standard K Glass? Or am I worrying unnecessarily - i.e. is smashing glass the least likely method of entry anyway?
Thanks
John
On Sun, 3 May 2009 11:55:12 +0100, a certain chimpanzee, "John
and produced:

Toughened doesn't mean tougher. I would have thought toughened glass would be easier to break in through, as it shatters into tiny pieces rather than the shards of 'normal' glass that could cut an intruder.
For security, laminated glass is better, as it stays intact.
I think most if not all police forces have a 'secured by design' office(r) who can give advice.
--
Hugo Nebula
"If no one on the Internet wants a piece of this,

OK. Thanks Hugo.
John

If security is your worry then I would suggest getting some steel bars made.
Fitting toughened glass is normally a requirement of the building regulations on safety issues, AFAIAA, it must be fitted to a glass window or door which is less than 900mm from finished floor level but do not proceed until you have checked this in the regs which are available on the GOV site on the internet . Regards Don

Thanks Don - hmmm...steel bars would perhaps be overkill! :-)
I know there are requirements for toughened glass within certain proximities to the floor, though I think it's a little less than 900mm. I shall check the regulations. My architect supplied a copy, which were submitted alongside the building regs app.
John