Toughend glass in cupboard doors

Hi all,

I've just retuned from my local glass supplier where I tried to buy a piece of 4mm glass for a cupboard door. He refused to sell me the glass saying that it had to be toughened. I know that glass on internal doors has to be toughened and in windows below 800mm but surely not in cupboard door.

Does anyone know the appropriate regulations?

What about a wardrobe door?

Thanks

Reply to
NickNoxx

First I have heard of it. I got quotes for replacing lots of panes in furniture two months ago. Some mirrored, some not. "Toughened" was never mentioned.

Reply to
EricP

You *told* him it was for a cupboard/indoor use? Oh dear. If you really want

4mm glass in something like that[1], it's "horticultural glass, for my greenhouse". Then you can have it (I think, still). [1] There is a reason for the regs. small persons walking into cupboard door, lacerations etc. No laibility accepted etc.
Reply to
Bob Mannix

I should have said I believe you can have 6mm untoughened (annealed) for doors etc but it depends on pane size (above 0.5m**2 you nned 8mm/10.... etc. See:

example. I believe the cupboard doors count as doors below 1500mm above floor and are therefore critical

Reply to
Bob Mannix

As MrMannix said you ased the wrong questions with the glazier. ;-)

Go to another glazier or send someone else in and if he ask the same question tell him its for your green house.

Reply to
George

Liability............That's the reason he won't sell the glass. You asked for 4mm for an indoor use. He rightly refused to sell it because he *may* well be liable as a supplier for supplying it incorrectly.

As other say, it's for the Greenhouse isn't it...

Reply to
RW

Why not get it tougened it's only a few pounds extra and takes about 5 days at my supplier.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

No, but its soud advice. I am fairly sure that all glass that is above a certain size, and MAY be mounted between knee and head height has to be toughened.

Even single glazed windows have to be these days. Unless made of lots of small panes.

definutely.

Dont frig about: get toughened. And smoothed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

panes in furniture are probably small enough to be exempt: my leaded lights are.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And if you had actually handled 4mm horticultural glass you would never ever consider using it inside the house. Certanly NEVER without a frame. It's got bloody sharp edges, cracks and shatters into dagger like shards, sometimes spontaneously..

Exactly. Glas breaks. That's bad enough. Breaking into jugular slashing shards is simply a risk not worth taking for the cost of a few tens of notes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am not known for being in accord with nanny state regulations, but in this case I would say this is as serious a matter as fire regulations. Or having toddlers play by a pond.

Toughened glass is SO much better than agricultural in every sense.

maybe you aren't old enough to remember the days before seat belts and laminated or toughened windscreens, but I can just. There were some horrific scars around ..on the survivors..:-(

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Read Rohl Dahl's book 'Boy'. He took a header through a plate glass car windscreen in an accident; it very nearly amputated his nose.

Reply to
Onetap