Specifying new windows

I'm about to print up drawings for my two & single storey extension to send out to builders for quotes. For the windows, anybody got any advice about what to say about the quality, and particularly the security aspects of uPVC windows and doors(I'm not thinking of B Regs such as ventilation/escape/safety glazing which I've already covered)? Is there a security standard, perhaps an insurance requirement?

Regards

IanC

Reply to
River Tramp

Regards

IanC

A Few thoughts in no order -

  1. Hard fixings to BWK rather than crazy foam.
  2. Internal beading.
  3. Multi point locking.
  4. Consider tilt / turn for upstairs for easy cleaning.
  5. Consider size of air gap in DG unit. More is good.
  6. Consider gas filled units rather than air.
  7. Look at different types of glass. I think Pilkington K is still the best around for energy effency. see here
    8. Individual locks rather than a mass produced system where your neighbour can end up with the same key as you.
  8. Do you really want UVPC windows. If something breaks timber is far easier to repair.
10 If you do want UVPC look for a profile which will match others, or is easily available and not some end of the line crap.
  1. Don't buy brown plastic windows they look like **** :-)
Reply to
Space Cowboy

out to builders for quotes. For the windows, anybody got any advice about what to say about the quality, and particularly the security aspects of uPVC windows and doors(I'm not thinking of B Regs such as ventilation/escape/safety glazing which I've already covered)? Is there a security standard, perhaps an insurance requirement?

around for energy effency. see here

can end up with the same key as you.

easily available and not some end of the line crap.

Bearing in mind all the recent discussion in this newsgroup, I would expect you to want trickle vents on most windows to provide ventilation when required. (some trickle vents look more attractive than others!). For the upstairs windows, you will probably want stays which enable you to lock the windows partially open, or at least prevent a young child climbing through a main window opened to provide ventilation on a warm evening. If you do not want this yourself, you may find a prospective purchaser wants it in the future. Give some thought as to whether you want the main opening windows hinged at the top or at the side - this probably depends on the type of the existing windows. When you get the qiuotes in, have a look at samples of the hardware, especially handles, used by your preferred supplier. Our first, cheapest, replacement window uses a much inferior design which I did not think about before placing the order. If possible go and have a look at an installation locally by a supplier before placing an order. When we shortlisted two suppliers for a major reglazing job an inspection of one installation ruled that supplier out of court for poor workmanship. Even the better suppliers seem to leave a surfeit of extra holes where they drilled the frame wrong or put a screw in the wrong place within the opening.

Reply to
Brian S Gray

I will add the requirement on upstairs and other windows to be wide enough to allow exit in fire situations. There is a regulation on this somewhere.

Brian S Gray wrote:

out to builders for quotes. For the windows, anybody got any advice about what to say about the quality, and particularly the security aspects of uPVC windows and doors(I'm not thinking of B Regs such as ventilation/escape/safety glazing which I've already covered)? Is there a security standard, perhaps an insurance requirement?

around for energy effency. see here

can end up with the same key as you.

easily available and not some end of the line crap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

think its the building regs and the opening light must have an opening at least xmm to allow escape. Not sure what x is though

Reply to
Space Cowboy

Thought the foam was meant to be purely an infill - not the means of totally supporting a frame.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

650mm or 950mm. One or the other. From here it looks like 650mm as my windows are designed 'on the limit'

They must open wide, too. No stays that only allow a crack.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only if it is required to be used for a means of escape. Not every window does

dg

Reply to
dg

Foaming glue - just a higher desnity foam - does both, and is in fact a darned good way of hloding a frame in a cavity wall without cold brodging it.

It fixes, it draughtproofs, it insulates and it water proofs, and it can be sliced back, made good and easlt decoretaed after a wipe with acrylic caulk.

I thnk its exceptionally good stuff for the job.

Hoever its expensive and therefore the temptation is to use insufficient quantities.

When its worse than useless.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At least one per room I think. Even if smoke alarmed and with access to two seperate stairwells.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The requirement is for all habitable rooms to first floor to have one escape window, mininmum size 0.45m x 0.45m, and a minimum of 0.33m2. This usually means a window 450mm wide, and 750mm high, fully openable (ie not sliding hinges unless with a release mechanism).

Thanks all for the suggestions, it was the non B Regs aspects I was interested in (I'm a local authority BCO, so hope I can get the ventialtion/escape glass/escape/containment issues right) particularly security & actual quality of the windows.

thanks again

IanC

message

Reply to
River Tramp

Please don't.

Some of the options I recall when I specified mine...

Shoebolt locking (handle also operates locking bolts at window corners). Only added £200 to the cost for a whole house.

Internal or external beading. There was a time when internal beading was more secure, but with the window tapes now used, it makes no difference to security. Internally beaded windows (particularly opening panes) have much larger uPVC sections which can look unsightly.

Profile of the beading -- triangular or scotia (curved profile).

Black or white rubber sealing strips. Was strongly recommended to go for black as they always form a black dirt line where they contact the glass -- this looks horrible if they're white but doesn't show if they're black.

I did mine when there was a choice of standard or Pilkington K (or equivalent) glass, but you're too late for that choice now.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel