painting question - gloss.

ive just given my skirting board a coat of gloss, it says wait 16 hours before the next coat, my question is do i just slap the second coat on top of the first or do i need to rub down the first gloss coat, if so with what grade rubbing paper.
many thanks

The reason for rubbing down is to give the next coat a key to help it stay there and also the rub off any small protuberances like dust or grit which may have settled in the paint, or even a raised grain which can mar the finish.
I would think grit of around 200 would be fine.
Rob Graham

many thanks for your reply Rob, looks like im going to be busy this weekend !
YW