OT: TV Repair??

Page 1 of 4

Sorry to be so far off topic, and I will not be doing it myself!! You guys seem to have quite an extensive knowledge of most things. My TV (24" CRT Hitachi) has tonight developed a Pink tinge all over the picture. NO amount of resetting etc, restores it back. Is this economically repairable does anybody know? If we are talking under 50 I will probably try to get it repaired but if over then I will probably go for a new TV, 42" Plasma sounds nice, but i have to convince SWMBO.
Cheers
John

50, if you can in fact find anyone.

If it is just a tint rather than a complete absence of green then it can usually be adjusted. A clue is if it still does a reasonable white and that it's the dark tones which are bad. Or the other way around. On older sets these adjustments were made by internal pots. Newer sets it's often software. Do a Google to find how to get into the service or engineering menu.
--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

should cost about 5UKP to source plus about xUKP for "the tv fixer" to do it. Prolly about 50quid in total if fixed in house - for about half an hours work.
Paul (Ex Tv engineer)

suggests failure in the green circuit or the tv. this could be a simple re-adjustment of the drive to the CRT to early failure of the tube itself, which, again can be "compensated" for by re-adjustment, but will eventually result in failure. It depends on how old your TV is.Over 10 years - it owes you no money, bin it.

It is an all over pink tinge, how do I do this "re-adjustment" as I cannot see anything in the User Menus?

TV is approx 8 years old so I aint bothered too much if I "cattle truck" it trying to re-adjust, but if I can get another week or so out of it whilst I try to convince SWMBO that we REALLY NEED a 42" plasma it may help!!
Cheers
John

So really it needs to gradually deteriorate over the next week..... A small adjustment each day should do that.

SWAMBO will be easily able to afford a new one when she collects your life insurance! If you don't know what you are doing don't take the back off.
--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

There's a good chance the adjustment is via a menu.
--
*Cover me. I\'m changing lanes.

"Plasma" sounds so much more sexy and appealing than "LCD"
John wrote in

And, I was surprised to learn, at those sizes it isn't significantly more power-hungry.
--
PeterMcC

I'm surprised at that - they seem to get very hot.
--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

On 2008-06-04 10:20:25 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

backlights for large LCD panels?
Dave Plowman (News) wrote in

Perhaps the emphasis should be the other way round:
"At those sizes, an LCD TV is as power-hungry as a plasma TV."
--
PeterMcC

I don't think they are. The backlights do use power but they are fairly efficient. I did notice that LCDs are usually brighter than plasma, one of the reasons they tend to have worse black levels. I can reduce the brightness on mine in addition to the brightness control for the picture.
dennis@home wrote in

Well...
...I did say I was surprised.
My quick Google initially hit a cnet article that said LCDs over 42" were as power-hungry as plasmas. Always fancying a bit of triangulation on such statements, I did a quick check and I looked up 42" plasmas and 42" LCDs.
As it happened, I hit LG TVs which it seems are pretty comparable plasma to LCD. I guess that's a good ad for LG plasmas since they are unrepresentative of the difference which certainly does exist.
Your comment made me check further and this looks fairly definitive: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.ca/S-vzXukiGmi75/learningcenter/home/TV-power.html?page=2
You are quite right, Dennis - plasmas generally seem to be around 50% more power-hungry than LCDs.
--
PeterMcC
dennis@home laid this down on his screen :

Our plasma has a very dark black. With the room in complete darkness and a completely dark scene, you see absolutely no light at all. Under the same conditions the light from our LCD screen is very obvious.
I notice no appreciable difference between the bright of the plasma and the bright of our LCD.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Well you wouldn't it should be the same as powered off.

Yes, fortunately most people keep the lights on and then there is more reflected light. Just like in a cinema where light leaks through the film.

Settings? Are they on maximum? Try viewing them in bright light and see which is best.
Basically, if you want to view in the dark get a crt or plasma, in room light either, in brightness lcd from a brightness point of view. Actual perceived quality is down to you.
laid this down on his screen :

Nothing more true than that last sentence. I've been in homes where the owners of a brand new LCD tv are crowing about the picture quality and, IMO, it's bloody awful - strange smoothly pink faces, no detail whatsoever in black areas, etc. Although it has to be said that a lot is down to poor setting up. Sky had a superb setting up feature that downloaded with 'Sky Anytime' on HD - but there are such mini progs on many DVD's.
Everyone to their own - personally I prefer plasmas - and Panasonic plasmas at that. Yes they are more power hungry - but the contrast levels are high, there is bags of detail in dark areas, and the picture is simply more 'natural' than lcd's (IMO!!). The picture quality on my Pana 37" is excellent on standard digital transmissions - and superb on HD. Panasonic regularly feature as best buys in Home Cinema mags.
DIY
DIY formulated the question :

The one failure I do notice on the plasma is the banding effect where there is a large area of smooth transition of tones or colour.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)