A successful repair! So far

My Pelonis oil-filled space heater temperature range setting failed a few days aho.

I removed the trim panel to get at the knob; the knob was too large to remove otherwise. The trim panel was VERY brittle plastic. Screws very hard to remove, Had to break off tabs to remove from slots holding it in place. Not designed to be taken apart. Knob shaft was split with part broken off. Epoxied the part back on and wrapped with heavy thread and epoxied the thread. Put back together, breaking more of trim panel when replacing main screw holding it. On/off light didn't work. Tore apart again. Could see nothing wrong with LED. Re-assembled. Still no light. Next day returned it to bedroom. Light works again??? Seems to all work OK but knob movement feels a bit mushy. Oh well. All's well that ends well?

Such chores keep me out of mischief in my old age. Also saves buying a new heater. Maybe.

Reply to
KenK

Having voided the warranty, you might not be insured for the resulting fire. How much do those things cost? Some repairs, better to go buy a new one with warranty and implied insurance.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:VjLCw.982345$ snipped-for-privacy@fx29.iad:

$50

I can't see how I could start a fire. I didn't touch the wiring. Only repaired a knob and removed and replaced a trim panel. I've done a lot more repairing other electrical stuff and I'm still here.

Reply to
KenK

The warranty is no issue as it is usually only 90 days on a cheap heater anyway. If it was under warranty I'm sure the OP would have returned it to the store for replacement. The only issue with modifications is a possible UL or CSA approval being negated - but this was only a mechanical repair - not a mechanical one - and as long as the plastic cover still totally encloses the electrics he's likely OK.

Stormy better get out his magic umbrella though, because someplace in New York State, the sky is falling!!!!!!!

Reply to
clare

Got to remember that PRNY (Peoples Republic of New York) is the land of attorneys and legislation.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon