noise when tap turned off

When I turn the cold tap off it goes `clunk` one loud knocking noise, its recent as never used to do this.
Any thoughts on how to cure?

Just the one tap?
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:38:19 -0000, "Mr Pounder"

what my plumber advised. Worth a try, I would suggest.

Is the tap fed from the rising main?
Mike

It will be the stopcock.

Mike

Okay, calm down and tell the OP how to fix it. New washer?