new oven & hob

Hi, have to renew old cooker with a new oven & hob.

Anyone know where I might find diagrams of new oven & hob installation.

My brain much prefers diagrams to explanations.

Oven is 5.2kw & hob is 6.4kw

Both items came with no cable supplied so I need to know what types of cable & sizes to use also switch types etc.

cheers

mo

Reply to
mojo

There should be installation instructions suppied. If not, the manufacturer should be able to provide them. I don't know of any installation instructions that apply to all makes of ovens and hobs.

I can tell you what it says in the installtion instructions for my Creda double oven and hob but whether they apply to yours is anyone's guess. They recommend connection to a cooker switch such as a 45 amp double pole switch. Obviously the cable from the consumer unit/fuses to the cooker switch must be adequate. The recommended cable coming from the cooker switch is 6mm squared PVC insulated twin and earth cable feeding a connector box, then from the connector box they recommend one 4mm squared PVC insulated twin and earth cable to the oven and the same to the hob. Part P of the building regulations applies.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

The combined current for 11.6kW is 0ver 48 A. The cable needs to be at least 10mm. Quite possibly more, depending on the length of run and installation method. Using a 45A rated switch with a load of over 48A...

Me, I would run individual cables from individual mcbs to individual isolation switches. But then, my power comes in on an overhead cable to a passageway right above the kitchen, so each cable would only need to be 8 ft long, tops and I put oversize conduit in down to the kitchen. YMMV and almost certainly will.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

A good point. Some ovens specify 4mm heat resistant cable for the final conection. Read the installation manual.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I disagee. Some diversity is allowed here. As the rings and ovens cycle on and off then the IEE allows a cooker (for a household) to be fed by a 30/32 Amp circuit for cookers rated upto 15kW.

10mm cable may be needed if there is a long length needed or it is enclosed in thermal walls.

Another point is that cooker switches should be no more than 2 meters away from the appliance. In the OPs case you could run 6 or 10 mm to one switch that controls both oven and hob and then use 2*6mm runs to two cooker outlet plates if both appliances are within 2 meters of the switch.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth