Mosaics

I am doing a en suite refit for a neighbour and the top of the tiles are going to be two rows of glass mosaics (1 inch square on a net). How do you stick these things successfully? I have tried putting a thin layer of adhesive on the wall and then applying the tiles but that wasn't enough adhesive. If I put a layer of notched adhesive on then it all sqidges out between the mosaics! What's the trick/answer? I am only really concerned with the shower area really as the mosaic rows will be at shoulder height and I would like to get a good amount of grout in the gaps, elsewhere in the room I am not too concerned as long as I can get at least a layer of grout in as these tiles will not get wet on a regular basis.
TIA
John

If it is white grout, use an all in one adhesive and grout.
--
Mike W

John wrote:

If have only done borders where there are tiles above and below. I leave a gap for the mosaics and do them later. Making *very* sure the gap is correct ! In your case I would put up a temporary batten since there is no row of tiles above. I then put a solid bed of adhesive at just the right depth (using a home-brewed tool that rests of the above-and-below tiles) so that when the mosiacs are pressed down flush with the other files, it "just" squidges - this helps them to fix them securely. I have seen far too many "professional" jobs where the mosaics are obviously thinner than the tiles, and end up recessed below the surrounding tiles. But I always need to scrape out the gaps to some extent - since I agree with you the grout must be a good depth if these are to be waterproof. HTH, Simon.
I can recommend the book, "Mosaic Tips and Techniques" by Sonia King for all of your mosaic questions.