Massive variation in quotes for boiler replacement.

Just had 3 quotations for replacing a conventional Baxi system boiler with a Worcestor Bosch combi (30 CDi). The quotes include removing all old and unnecessary pipework, hot water cylinder and loft mounted storage tanks, installing soak-away for condensate, and fitting wireless thermostat and plug-in digital timer.
Quotes are: 2,800, 2885, and........................... 1,900 !
The chap quoting 1,900 was the only one to provide a detailed written quote (the other two just phoned me back), and he is Corgi registered (I've checked out his Corgi ID on the Corgi web-site and it's correct). Clearly I would like to save money and go for the lowest quote but I can't help but be suspicious when his quote is so dramatically cheaper than the other two.
Checking on-line I see that I could buy the boiler (including controls/flue etc) for around 1,000. I don't know how long the job should take but I wouldn't have thought more than a couple of days. With that in mind it does seem to me that a charge for labour of 900 is far more appropriate than 1,885 !!
Any plumbers (or anyone who has recently had a combi conversion) care to comment?
Kev

worth an ask here http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/index.php in the plumbing section

I'll give it a try!
Kev
"Uno-Hoo!" wrote:

I had similar work done last May and it cost about 3 grand. It took 2 plumbers working flat out for 3 days. Testing and commissioning took half a day, but would have been a bit less if we hadn't had a power cut. Combis need a larger diameter gas pipe than does a conventional boiler. A new gas pipe had to be run form the meter which is on the front wall of the house to the new boiler which has been installed in a ground floor loft at the back of the house. The total pipe run is about 40 metres. That involved lifting carpets and floorboards in two bedrooms and the landing. All floorboards and carpets were fitted back properly as promised, all holes in plaster and brickwork were filled and all rubbish was removed. If yours really is a two day job then 2,800 and 2,885 seems a bit steep even for two plumbers. It really depends on whether this is a one or two man job and how many days it takes.
hi im a corgi fitter, its a well known fact in the trade a killing is made on boiler changes, 500-700 per day profit is very common and easily made in my area (yorkshire). the lower price guy probably needs the work and you will probably get a decent job, the others are probably busy and not bothered if they get the job or not. if your not happy with what the cheaper guy does get it checked foc by corgi.... ive quoted for jobs and lost them to british gas who have charged 2.5 times more for the same job and boiler...beware there are many unregistered guys out there who will rip you off and run... a bad move believe it or not is to buy your own boiler and then shop round for a fitter, if your going down this road do it in the hottest time of the year when many are not busy...good luck!

what's the going houry rate then for plumbers?
25-35 +vat?

what's the going houry rate then for plumbers?
bearing in mind its not every day u get a boiler job

Thanks JT - that's really helpful! The cheapest quoter is quite definitely Corgi registered - I've checked him out on the Corgi web-site so I think I'll give the job to him - although I'll quiz him first on how many combi conversions he's done, and try and check-out how experienced he is.
Kev