Boiler replacement

I have a Weil McLain boiler that's about 20 years old. Over the past few years, it has become louder and louder....percolating. I've cleaned the flue, heat exchanger, burners...no change. I tried some de-scaler and that didn't help either. I'm thinking it's time for a replacement boiler.

As far as the size of the replacement, should I just try to match up the size to the old one, or should I actually do the heat loss calcs? I think that the addition to the house was done after this current boiler was installed. Since I have lived here we have replaced all the remaining single-pane windows with loE windows. Does anyone have any links to something that helps do the calcs?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott

You going to put it in yourself? If so, be sure to ask us for advice before you start. You can also ask on alt.hvac.

If you're calling a heating guy to put it in, you oughta tap into his experience for sizing. Wouldn't do to change the size too much one way or the other -- since the pipes are sized, with the number of zones and whatnot. Woudn't want to put a huge boiler on small pipes, or a small boiler on huge pipes.

Rule of thumb: Keep it out from under your own hammer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Not a great idea...but thanks for posting that...you gonna be the #1 guy in there soon..and its not gonna be on teh list you want.

Reply to
CBhvac

Well stormin, I paid a guy to put in a Weil Mc Lain 250000 btu water boiler last year, HWH. After seeing how he redid the gas feed , water feed, supply and return lines ,elec , vent shutoff . Expansion tank , moving, it from the attic to next to the boiler and maybe 6 extra unions and all ball valves etc etc etc All things missed on the original instal . I just wonder, How in the hell can you honestly offer good advise on a job you cant see , you CANT. How can you offer advise on something you are not lisenced for or have Alot of experiance with. You cant and shouldnt. As far as sizing , you get a load calculation done. You dont TAP into knowlegde, You get facts on paper. My unit was oversized 50000 btu. the load calc saved me money on a smaller boiler. It took at least 40 man hrs for my complete job by pros. If I did it it would have been 300 hrs. Not a job to learn on.

Reply to
m Ransley

This is Turtle.

You buddy Kevin is over at alt.hvac and using your quotes off this post as the right to spam over there. You told him to come post over there and ask anything he wanted to ask Quote " Stormy said it was alright " Also he is calling you one of the pro over there at alt.hvac by reading some of your past post stating some knownledge of the business.

Also , Stormy , the fellow here is asking for info on the start right now and your telling him to ask if he is going to start doing it hisself.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I unsubbed off alt hvac about a week ago. I have no sympathy for anything going on there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

You stormin " unsubbed " "there" and your lack of " Sympathy" is only a defeat as in you cant compete......................................................................................................................................................................!!!!!!!...........

Reply to
m Ransley

The only guy that NEEDS sympathy is you

Reply to
m Ransley

Promises from a hack.....

Reply to
HeatMan

I noticed that there is a Yahoo group now that is blasting you for being a clueless hack that is prob gonna have more members than yours real soon...what did you think? That you could hide stupid forever?

Reply to
CBhvac

Stormin Mormonn posted for all of us....

Are you gone? No fooling!

Reply to
Tekkie

Hi Stormin, hope you are having a nice day

On 11-Dec-03 At About 03:08:06, Stormin Mormonn wrote to Stormin Mormonn Subject: Re: Boiler replacement

SM> From: "Stormin Mormonn"

SM> You going to put it in yourself? If so, be sure to ask us for advice SM> before you start. You can also ask on alt.hvac.

SM> If you're calling a heating guy to put it in, you oughta tap into his SM> experience for sizing. Wouldn't do to change the size too much one SM> way or the other -- since the pipes are sized, with the number of SM> zones and whatnot. Woudn't want to put a huge boiler on small pipes, SM> or a small boiler on huge pipes.

Another subject you know nothing about.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2