oil boiler convert from power vent to chimney

I have a Weil-McLain boiler (5 years old) and it is vented with a power vent and intakes combustion air from inside (basement).

I am installing a fireplace on the main level and will be building a chase for the chimney on the outside of my house. I was thinking this would be a good time to convert my power vent to a real chimney for long term durability as I could share the chase with both chimneys. I don't know if this is feasible though since my boiler is not located real close to the location of the fireplace. The boiler vent would have to go 6 feet horizontal, then right angle and another 12 feet horizontal then vertical for 25ft chimney height. Of course when I say horizontal, I mean it could go at an incline when it is horizontal. I would have a professional do all of this, but was curious if this is even possible, or would I screw up the drafting and cause condensation/soot problems?

Trying to educate myself before I call the pros. I really don't like the powervent due to noise/smell outside the house. I could build a new chase right above the boiler just for the boiler vent, but that would be more money and time...trying to avoid.

Thanks.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

Steve Scott

Until the squirrel cage warps after a year's worth of use.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Consult the GAMA vent tables before you try to DIY, then call your local building inspector and make sure that what your trying to do will meet code requirements and pass the inspections.

Trying to avoid getting it done right..... Its gonna cost a *LOT* more in the long run.

Get it done right the first time, and pay a little more up front, but save a lot in the long run.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I was considering using an SS-2 for a waste oil heater I am installing....does this thing have inherent service problems? Literature on waste oil heater (omni) says stack temp of 400 degress or less.

Thanks for the help

Vic

And a Merry Christmas to all

Reply to
Victor H Plank

Reply to
Steve Scott

Reply to
Steve Scott

Fuck, don't worry about it. You can save a little bit of money. The worst thing that might happen is that you will blow up your house and kill your family, or maybe gas them in their sleep with O2 gas.

It ain't rocket science.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Reply to
Steve Scott

Yeah, take this experts word on that. You don't want too much "O2 gas" in your house. It isn't rocket science, but it does require at least an 8th grade science class education.

And you can take this to the bank, cause this homeowner below, knows all about not making it past 8th grade....

If you had a clue, you would know it was a typo, and you would also know, its not rocket science, but no one worth a damn is hiring anyone without a 4 year degree in the trade now.

Reply to
CBHVAC

I crack myself up sometimes!!!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

CB

STFU.

A typo is something like "their for there" or a misspelling. Typing O2 vs. CO takes some effort, and severe lack of knowledge.

Just because it took you 4 years to finish the 2 year tech school "course of study" does not make it a 4 year degree. That requires accreditation, and a lot more book learning that you grease monkeys could handle.

HA Actually, its easy to miss a key, but thats ok..Im sure you know about CO2 and how easy it CAN be to leave a key out by accident. And Bud..no..I had a 4 year apprenticeship program that was designed to train business owners, and I took the repair part, learned it, and took the f*ck the homeowner part and threw it away, but you would have known that if you paid attention. Im this case, Im sure you work for someone, while I have those that work for me, and I have news for ya, Oscar either baited you, or he typoed. either way, you went for it hook line and sinker.

Now..who needs to shut the f*ck up?

Oh..yea..that would be you.

Reply to
CBHVAC

You are borderline illiterate, it must be a treat to work for you.

What the hell are you talking about? Now your rambling on about CO2, I would be most concerned with CO. Notice the ONE OXYGEN, not TWO. Its one of the products of incomplete combustion, CO2 would be the next stage. But you probably learned all about that during your 4 years of intensive training on how to own a business. Funny because it only took me an my partner 10 minutes to file the papers, and boom we were incorporated.

Back to your literacy problem....what the f*ck does this mean?

"Im this case, Im sure you work for someone, while I have those that work for me, and I have news for ya, Oscar either baited you, or he typoed."

I've read it 20 times, and I cannot imagine what little thought you were trying to convey? Are those commas supposed to be periods? Are they complete thoughts? Let's take a stab at trying to punctuate this sentence for the CB Moron:

I'm this case. I'm sure [that] you work for someone, while I have those that work for me. I have news for you. Oscar either baited you, or he typoed.

I give up trying to fix that babbling. Are you trying to say that since you apparently own some hack residential screw-shop slapping in Goodmans, that makes you the expert on what Oscar meant when he warned of the dangers of oxygen being in the house? Or somehow Oscar has devised a plan to trap the unsuspecting newsgroup reader into responding to his ignorance?

I actually wasted my time on a real four year bachelors of science degree in mechanical engineering from an accredited university along with a Professional Engineering license, when I could have gotten one of those highly coveted diplomas from the college of 4 YEAR APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM DESIGNED TO TRAIN BUSINESS OWNERS.

I did take some time to review your posting history. I have yet to find a meaningful contribution by you on any subject related to HV or C. It's just a bunch of posturing. It seems that you are really scared of the homeowners of the world revolting and figuring out that they really don't need the likes of you.

By the way, doing a load calc and picking a furnace matched with a condenser and coil is not Rocket Surgery at all, and its embarrassing to have people like you act like it is. I've designed 20 story buildings, with air handlers in the millions of CFM, chiller rooms, steam plants, etc. That's a

2-year design task, something I wouldn't recommend an average homeowner do. But to figure out the U value of 4 walls and a few windows, just about anybody with any math skills can do that.

It's because people like you consider themselves experts that I am as wealthy as I am, and will never run out of work.

I anticipate your reply after you sober up enough to get up off the trailer floor and log back onto your WebTV account. Hopefully you won't sleep so long that your mom will be watching her soaps when you get up. Then, please will you STFU.

Is this piece of shit yours?

Did you have some 7th graders design it for a class project? Pick a freaking font already, its as scatterbrained as you are.

It means, you got baited again, and are just stupid enough to fall for it.

And btw....Goodman is a millionares dream come true....but no..if you had half a brain, you would know what we install. Sorry your job at Mcdonalds where you dream of getting to the fryer wont allow you to buy one.

Any more flames you wanna be baited on to see how you really are?

Hint..this is another one.

Reply to
CBHVAC

Who baited who?

Nice comeback with the McDonald's reference.

Shut the FUCK up, fry-boy.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

I would sure as hell rather entrust the comfort and safety of my family to CB instead of a self-assured booger-picker like you.

You seem very threatened that someone like CB who is highly respected and regularly turns down additional good-paying work to enjoy his luxuries in life has more useful, real-world skills than you do.

Maybe you do OK spending years behind a T-square making sketches of your building (and then giving them to the 2-year college CAD technician to correct and finish), but I do sense a scared little man behind your nit-picking self-appointed USENET spelling bee enforcement mission.

I'll bet it really bugs you that the technicians you work with all hate your pompus ass guts and they won't include you in their daily fun. You know you want to have friends too, and you want to gain their respect, but you can't get that obvious degree pedestal out of your ass.

Just goes to prove that respect is EARNED and not purchased.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

My sense is that it won't vent very well with that long of a run.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon