Boiler Replacement

Most esteemed DIY experts....

We have had a quote for replacement of the boiler from BG - due to some amazing maths, they got it up to £3300 before discounts brought it back down to £2700!!

I will not be using their services, but they have put the fear of god into the Mrs over the need to 'register' the new boiler with the LABC at the council. Indeed, the BG sales literature makes specific reference to this, likening it to obtaining planning permission. Non BG installations may be subject to up to additional charges of £4-500 (they say). The brochure goes on to say that if Part L is not complied with, there may be fines!!

I seem to recollect that Part L now demands a condensing boiler with a minimum SEDBUK, but most boilers sold now will comply anyway.

Can anyone point me to a good source on this 'registration with LABC' malarkey, I have googled but cannot seem to find a good, reputable source of info.

TIA

SalesGuy

Reply to
salesguy

That sounds like a reasonable price from BG what boiler did the specify?

salesguy coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yeah - I was quoted 2500 to supply and fit a boiler, with 10m of surface run gas pipe, 2x3m surface water pipe and connect to electrics that I had already supplied adjacent to the boiler, which was on the ground floor! That was about 1500 for a day to a day-and-a-half of matey+lad.

So I'll be doing it myself...

AFAIK, if a CORGI ("Gassafe" now or whatever) does it, the installation gets registered with them. Nothing to do with BG - it would be the same for any CORGI/whatever install.

If you did it yourself, technically the gas requires no notification, but you would need to notify the LABC with respect to Part L (energy), maybe Part F (ventilation) unless it's a room sealed boiler, which it probably is anyway, and maybe Part P (electrics) - and that's debateable if it's a straight swap.

Utter bollocks. Firstly, I would imaging any CORGI installer is able to self certify these bits. Also, I have a BNA (Building Notice) on my house which cost 321 quid and covers drains, boiler, wood stove, lots of random Part L crap, full rewire and a few other things. The cost for a boiler BNA would be typically the minimum charge - more like a 100-odd + VAT.

No one gives a damn and there's a timeout anyway or 6 months and 2 years IIRC (different aspects time out differently). Technically they could bust you for a fine, but Part P prosecutions are rare, and targetted at dodgey traders. I've never heard of someone being busted for failure to notify Part L work.

You can still buy a non condesning if you really want to.

(change capitalised bit as appropriate - you want your borough/district council - not parish and not county council) then look for Building Control. Or nip down the Town Hall and see them. Building Control are generally helpful, though some inspectors are more by-the-book than others.

Building Regs "Approved Documents" are easily found for free by googling - they're generally not too hard to read.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

So probably £1800 from an independent fitter...

Indeed - one should...

No nothing like PP, your fitter needs to submit a self certification notice to them that says it complies with the requirements of part L (should cost him about £3.50 or something like that IIRC). I am sure one of our regular fitters could elaborate on the exact process.

Ah, FUD marketing. If you were to fit your own boiler for example, and were not a CORGI (or equal for other fuels) member, then you would not be able to self certify. Hence you would need to apply for a building notice to have the LA inspect and sign off the installation as complying with building regs. This would cost you a building notice fee. Could be north of £100, but very unlikely to be anything like £400 (unless the commercial value of the work you were doing was in excess of £10K!)

For certain values of "may" - and only then if the work did not comply with building regs. (i.e. in reality - fat chance)

Yup. You will need to make sure the controls are up to modern standards as well. So Room stat (aka boiler interlock) and TRVs on all rads except the one in the room with the stat.

I expect that for most LAs it is one of those things that have simply never happened. Some CORGIs will submit the paperwork, others won't, but I would be very surprised if any self installers (or non registered fitters trading illegally) have done a building notice.

Reply to
John Rumm

where about do you live? We come in with quotes usually at half BG price all in. The registration with BC is done via corgi, they are trying to frighten you with the claims.

Get some quotes from local guys.

Reply to
hg

Online with direct debit it takes about 5 minutes and cost £2.50 (less a few pennies for lower VAT).

It is worth me doing them, as the notices are one of the things which the Corgi/Crapita take as part of their 'risk assessment'. I.e. The guys who put in notices are deemed to be likely to have less faults with their work. Ergo I've nearly forgotten what the inspector looks like.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

That sounds like a reasonable price from BG what boiler did the specify?

+330 High Efficiency BG branded!

Not even a brand name!

SalesGuy

Reply to
salesguy

Thanks for all the info.

SalesGuy

Reply to
salesguy

Yup, sorry I was not being that clear there... I as thinking more about the non CORGI[1] submitting a standard building notice before doing the work (and paying the ~£100 fee), rather than the CORGI ones...

[1] Is the ability to do part L notices cheaply, available to all CORGIs or is it limited in some way?
Reply to
John Rumm

I suppose if you haven't done your C&G (the energy efficiency one that came out when Part L changed to mandate condensing boilers) then you probably couldn't self-certify. Dunno because I did mine and I can.

Reply to
YAPH

Is the subject really that deep (in the context of boilers etc) to require a C&G to itself?

Reply to
John Rumm

C&G or any type of formal qualification is not a requirment to for self certification of boilers or other notifiable gas work.

All that is required is that the bussiness or sole trader is CORGI registered gas installer and that the fitter (or sole trader) is qualified to carry out the work.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

C&G or any type of formal qualification is not a requirment to for self certification of boilers or other notifiable gas work.

All that is required is that the bussiness or sole trader is CORGI registered gas installer and that the fitter (or sole trader) is qualified to carry out the work.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

C&G or any type of formal qualification is not a requirment to for self certification of boilers or other notifiable gas work.

All that is required is that the bussiness or sole trader is CORGI registered gas installer and that the fitter (or sole trader) is qualified to carry out the work.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

It's a pretty small 1 day C&G. It does cover quite a bit of stuff most of which I had serous objections to. Partly because some of it does not stand up to numerate inspection.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

What were your objections Ed?

I had reservations about the whole-house sizing method but they claimed it actually produces accurate-enough results and TBH a usable tool that encourages yer average installer to actually calculate a boiler size rather than suck their teeth and throw in a 30kW just to be one the safe side (usually into a 10-12kW terraced!) has an argument going for it :-).

OTOH IIRC they were still plugging the party line that we should be telling punters that switching to a condensing boiler would produce a positive retrun on investment (which it might have a chance of doing at current interest rates, but not when we all had to do our 6084).

Reply to
YAPH

I can't remember the legal/bureaucratic details at the time but my understanding was that to self-certify to the newer version of Part L I had to have C&G 6084.

Reply to
YAPH

Whilst that trivial case is a clear benefit of following the 'book'. It fails to take account of subtleties, such as:

1) Medium or longer term plans for house alterations. 2) Specific problem with heating the specific house in question. 3) There is an inevitable error in the estimation but the consequence of a the error are not symetrical problems. Ergo A little extra makes for peace of mind. In truth it fails to take all the information (including the house calculator) on board and come to a reasoned balanced compromise.

It all depends on a number of factors. In general condensing boilers would pay for their extra cost and make inroads into their overall cost.

Other problems:

1) Using a grossly undersized HW cylinder and a fast acting thermal sensor. The figures given did not add up. I ran the numbers on the white at lunch time to prove it. The tutor accepted the numbers but said he had to put out new ideas about HW. 2) Claiming that wood burning is zero carbon. It is only if the wood supply is renewable. 3) Claiming that all this will stop/reverse global warming. If we all switched all of our hiouse heating off we would save the carbon from a couple of coal fired power stations in some other countries.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

Interesting. I don't recall any such tosh at mine (West London Training in Farnborough) though it was a few years ago and I'm a bit hazy on it all now.

Reply to
YAPH