LED Torches - are they any good ?.

I'm thinking of buying an LED torch.
Are they any good?.
TIAA, woodglass....

I think so...
I've got a 2-led head torch that has been a godsend for DIY; it's extremely bright for it's smsll size, and is adequate for walking outside in complete darkness, so if your streets aren't lit it would be fine. Batteries last for ages.
They don't, unless someone knows better, throw a decent beam.
mike
As a family we have six
| I think so... | | I've got a 2-led head torch that has been a godsend for DIY; it's extremely | bright for it's smsll size, and is adequate for walking outside in complete | darkness, so if your streets aren't lit it would be fine. Batteries last | for ages.
My 3 LED head torch from Lidl is great for DIY under the house etc.
| They don't, unless someone knows better, throw a decent beam.
The beam from LED torches reaches 6-10ft
For a beam, I use my Maglight 4D
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
On 13 Nov 2005 18:00:54 GMT, mike ring

I've got one that has 12 white LEDS inside it.
The torch lights up the whole garden.
It runs on 3 AA batteries.
Graham

Variable, depending on the LED(s) fitted.
There are some extremely bright LEDs now on the market and they are dropping in price rapidly. If you buy a torch fitted with a decent LED it will be okay.
I have two 'no brand' LED torches. One is next to useless and the other is great. The better torch was the cheapest - purchased from a pound shop.
--
Alan
It depends.

Chinese supplied, off ebay, luxeon 3w is absolutely brilliant, I use it every day for work. Likewise a luxeon 3w headtorch from someone in uk.
The luxeon pocket torch comes from a trader called usebase, I have bought 6 off him (for friends that have seen my torch), fast delivery too, about 10 pounds delivered and uses aa batteries.
mrcheerful

the ebay supplier of the 3w luxeon pocket torch is utools (I got it wrong saying usebase).
they light up an entire garden, extremely good I find.
mrcheerful

I wonder why they have their feedback comments hidden ?
"San Connolly" <mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message

I asked him that when I bought the last torches from him, he wouldn't tell me, just said there was no problem, however he sent the torches straight away. The first time I bought from him his feedback was public and good.
There are lots of others selling the same torches on ebay.
mrcheerful
Search ebay for ' MXDL ' . These are the most common 3w units.
I paid 6.99 plus 6 p&p from a Hong Kong supplier, and it is probably the best value torch I have bought. But the some others have reported varying shades of white and different beam patterns.
dg
Excellent in terms of lifetime of batteries...not so hot on distance of travel of beam mainly due to lack of a decent reflector and intemsity is not the same as halogen. My LED torch has 10 LED's...and is a Lucido product