How to stop interior door banging in the wind

Hi,

We like to have windows open upstairs, but for various reasons need to keep

2 of the bedrooms shut during the night, all the bedrooms are opposite the bathroom which has a window open all the time for ventilation. Problem is in one of the rooms, if the window is even slightly open in there and the smallest draught appears, the door pulls and bangs all night. We need the fresh air (it's a very hot house), so is there anything we can do to the door (apart from leaving it open) that would stop it banging? As far as I can tell, they're just the bog standard wooden doors covered in painted hardboard.
Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Have you tried draught excluder around the door to cushion it from banging?

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Stretch a few rubber bands (as conveniently dropped by the postman) from one handle to the other to form a buffer.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Mentalguy,

Replying through Ash's post as I have all posts via gmail and googlemail killfiled to reduce the spam.

This is a simple problem to resolve without incurring any expense.

1 You can take the mortise latch receiver off, and adjust its housing further back into the frame (towards the doorstop) and cutting it if necessary, fill the screw holes and then refix the receiver. It really is easier than it sounds.

2 Remove the slamming side and head door stop (presuming it's a normal lining), close the door into the latch receiver, push the doorstops lightly against the door and renail it - then all should be ok.

If you are still having problems, keep playing with both or either of the above methods using minor adjustments (usually with a hammer and a bit of scrap wood to tap things either in or out) until all is correct.

Bloody useful a well placed hammer and a piece of scrap wood in the right hands. LOL

Cash

Reply to
Cash

If you don't feel like doing any door modifications, shove a wedge under the door.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robgraham

If it's a door with a mortise latch and a keep plate which is a bit of pressed steel with a tab bent inwards at right angles, you can bend the tab to take up the play and stop it rattling.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I used a couple of those little sticky backed rubber feet for computers when my sons bedroom door did this at our last house. Just stuck them on to the door stop at top and bottom, not too unsightly unlike rubber bands, and a lot less trouble than all the re painting required when moving the doorstop.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers