Door 'closer' to prevent door banging

What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a rattle if you close it at all carelessly. Unfortunately the bang and rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for something that will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

Reply to
Chris Green

They are called door dampers. e.g.:

nightjar

Not tried feeding google with "door damper"?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Strips of foam stuck round the edge?

Reply to
Dave W

Yes (OP here), £50 plus seems a lot. Maybe AliExpress have something.....

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, and all I found was those very expensive ones, I was hoping there might be something rather simpler and cheaper with another name. We're not after something for 'public' doorways and such, just something to stop our back door banging so hard.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, it looks like it might come to that!

Reply to
Chris Green

Some of the door closers have an optional "hold open" arm eg

so the door can be held fully open, but if moved to a partly open position it will fully close.

There is also a "backcheck" function which dampens the door at the open position in case it hits a wall etc.

If it's not a very heavy or 'swingy' door you could try multiple soft-close pistons of the sort used on kitchen cupboards and drawers.

Slam noise is often worsened by the latch bolt hitting the keep plate as the door closed - you can get magnetic latches where the bolt is retracted until the door is fully closed, some have plastic or plastic-covered bolts for almost silent operation.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

They are quite sophisticated devices. One with a decent life won't be cheap. Same as anything, really.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

But more quietly because it stops wood to wood impact.

He could always use a door closer in reverse. Door kept open but has to be physically closed to shut it. :-)

Reply to
Andrew

I would start by spending £3 and half an hour sticking self-adhesive draught excluding strips into the rebate. See if it does the trick. TW

Reply to
TimW

I doubt that cheap and effective are compatible aims. However, I would try fitting a large adjustable roller catch into the hinge edge of the door. That should act a a sprung cushion to the last part of the door closing.

Reply to
nightjar

This looks like the type I remember from my childhood home:

DJC

I used this type on a shop door and its been on for a couiple of years now

Reply to
sintv

For 15 years I have had a cheap foam type knee pad in the door jamb. I like my windows open and the wind to blow through some. I close the, free swinging, door against the pad and no problems with door moving at all. And, it's not so threatening to my little toe.

Reply to
RayL12