fitting light socket in plasterboard wall

Old Wimpy house from 70s, want to replace light switches with Crabtree Platinum range, but the current setup is dodgy and doesnt allow me to clip on the surrounds, because the metal box in the wall shooggles about back and forth and side to side making it impossible to clip the surrounds on. Any suggestions?
Marvin wrote:

*title should say light switch

Are you tightening the innards of the switch up tight enough to secure the back box before trying to clip the front on?
Adam
ARWadsworth wrote:

The back box doesnt secure. I removed the 4 tabs on the innards like it said in the instructions.

I think you have buggered them up. You only remove the tags on the flat plate switches and you have the low profile version. (low profile has no screws showing, flat plate has screws showing on final fix). As the front is clipped on through two holes in the innards it may be possible to secure the back box with no more nails or something and screw the innard to the backbox with some washers if needed so the inards are flush to the wall ie the back of the innards are in line with the plaster and then clip the front on.
Adam