Making an arch in plasterboard wall

Hello,

I have a plasterboard wall between two rooms in my house and I want to cut out an arched entrance between the two rooms. I have seen arch forming kits from Screwfix direct but, once I've cut the shape of the arch what do I need to finish off the edges of the arch? I'm just leaving an arched openning, not fitting any kind of door.

Thanks

Reply to
Glenn Robinson

hi Glenn,

Plastic arch bead should be used for this. Simply fix over the edges of the cut arch you make. If your wall is already stud and plasterboard then there is no need to purchase an arch former kit. Fill in the cavity of the arch with expamet mesh or similar. Any good builders merchant will stock arch bead. Screwfix also stock them but I think there is a minimum order.

Reply to
Kirkjsmith

--

Ok, thanks for this.

You say I don't need an arch former, I assume because I just need to cut the shape out, correct?

After the beading is in place what would I use to cover this so that the beading isn't showing?

Thanks

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Robinson

I recently had an 'arch' added to an alcove on one side of a chimney breast. The plasterer used arch forms. These come in back-to-back pairs and are designed to overlap the adjacent wall to some extent so some skimming will be required. They sell them on

in various radii.

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:36:31 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Glenn Robinson" strung together this:

Try plaster.

Reply to
Lurch

yeah glenn,

you gotta plaster afterwards to finish the job off properly. You should get away with a 2 coat skim.

Reply to
Kirkjsmith

Ok,

Thanks all.