Exterior Gloss

Can anyone advise if here is an exterior gloss paint available that I can use the paint my soffits/facias that'll last a good few years (too costly to replace them with uPVC atm). I'm in a coastal area and wind/rain/salt are a problem here at times. Is there a particular gloss that can be used in coastal locations?

Thanks

Mike Sussex

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for the advice

Mike

Mike wrote:

the paint my soffits/facias that'll last a good few years (too costly to replace them with uPVC atm).

a particular gloss that can be used in coastal locations?

Reply to
Mike

As a yachtie I don't think marine paints will be suitable, yachts are constructed from fibreglass.

Facias are probably rigid polyurethene, contact a paint company

Colin

Reply to
Colin Jackson

use the paint my soffits/facias that'll last a good few years (too costly = to replace them with uPVC atm).

there a particular gloss that can be used in coastal locations?

It sounds as if you have softwood fascias and soffits. I have timber windows, I live inland but south facing and we get full exposure from the sun and the SW winds. My timber windows are 16yrs old and I have always used Weathershield although I'm just painting them again now for the third time. It is much easier to use now as everything from the clear preservative primer, the undercoat and the top coat is water based. The satinwood top coat gives a very good finish, just slide it on with a paint pad. Go for the Trade option (important) as this is good for 8 years they reckon. It's around =A316 a litre because it's good, don't be tempted into using inferior brands as they won't last as long which means you will be up a ladder again sooner! The soffits will last for years as they won't get direct sunlight. The fascias will also be partly protected by the gutter overhang.

AJ

Reply to
AJH

the paint my soffits/facias that'll last a good few years (too costly to replace them with uPVC atm).

there a particular gloss that can be used in coastal locations?

Yes, you're so right about not skimping on quality. And I'd like to add my regular advice to all and sundry who mentions they are facing the job of painting - use EB (for water-based) or Penetrol (for rusty surfaces, oil-based paints) Latex Paint Additive | Latex Paint Conditioner | Flood An unconditioned paint was used on the right, while the left was painted with an acrylic mixed with Flood E-B Emulsa Bond. After the paint had dried, ...

-

I wish they paid me, I'd have enough money by now to hire someone to do the painting!

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P

Not all of them! I've just done my garden seat with the back end of a tin of two-pot varnish. Very nice it looks, but kind of expensive. For a house you aren't into left over tin ends, and the cost would be high.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In article , A _L_ P writes

Appears to be a US product, is it available in the UK?

Reply to
fred

Ah now, that I'm not sure of. It's in New Zealand shops and comes from Australia. I suggest you go to

where there is an email address and ask them where you can get it in the UK.

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P

Found it: UNITED KINGDOM Ken Coniam Igoe International Limited Unit 12, Enterprise Centre

25 Greenhill Crescent Watford, Herts. WD18 8XU United Kingdom

Phone: 44-8450-618-899 Fax: 44-1923-219-144 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@igoeinternational.com Web:

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P

Thanks, found that from the US site but Flood products are conspicuously absent. They do seem to have their own brand of E-B though. Rebadging?

Reply to
fred

Rebadging would be my guess, but you might as well email them and ask. Tell them the recommendation came from a NZer, so they know what standard was recommended in case they have a poorer or better brew on sale over on your side of the world :-)

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P