Edison Screw Light Fittings

Hi,
Does anyone know where I can buy Edison screw light fittings? I want to change one or two in my house from the regular bayonet cap fittings. I have looked in the latest Screwfix catalogue and was surprised there was not even a sniff!
I am presuming there is not legal reason for not changing.
Jim

Bewere that you mustn't used ES lampholders unless you can be sure the live feed is always to the tip connection and never to the thread connection.
--
Andrew Gabriel

writes:

Both ES and BC seem dangerous and outdated. Looking at the 230v halogen fitting in the bathroom, the push-and-turn-receptical seems much safer should anyone want to poke their fingers in it. Perhaps somthing like that should be designed for GLS and CF lamps. And if a shutter can be incorperated like on MK 13A sockets then we would have a very safe product indeed.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

They do seem that way, but evidence suggests otherwise, so they are exempt from the normal IP2X requirement (not being able to touch live parts). There are apparently no recorded electrocutions due to the exposed pins in a BC lampholder. There are some recorded electrocutions from ES lampholders due to having the thread connection live, which makes the exposed lamp base live when it's not fully screwed in. (Many newer designs don't make connection to the thread contact until the lamp is fully screwed in nowadays.)

It's a newer design -- you would expect it to be safer and conform to current standards such as IP2X.

It has been for the US which use ES lampholders. (The new lampholder is a larger version of the push and twist you refer to above. It's not catching on significanly though.)

Again, you have to point to evidence of any safety problem. BC lampholder has been around for 100+ years, and if it hasn't killed anyone in that time, you just can't reasonably argue it to be unsafe, in spite of the exposed contacts. (This isn't true for ES lampholders though.)
--
Andrew Gabriel

writes:

That's a surprising statistic. I think we would all agree that if such a design was proposed today, it would never be approved.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

that back around 1979/80 the BSI spec relating to the length of the BC plunger contacts was amended, shortening them by a couple of millimetres - for safety reasons. I had a patent out at that time which was rendered useless in consequence. It's not the first time the BSI have changed their regs apparently just for the hell of it.
"Jim" wrote:

Screw-in ES lamp holders: http://tinyurl.com/ydy5lb