Doorway Widening / Lintel Replacement?

Hello everyone, I need to widen the doorway into the kitchen.

There are some pics on this link:

The house is a Victorian terrace (built 1895)

Does anybody know what I can expect to find if I start hacking the plaster off the walls? I assume that I will have to replace the supporting lintel with a longer one to do this work.

How do I remove the existing lintel and stop the wall falling? Do I have to support above it with struts either side and bridge across with wood?

anybody done this?

many thanks.

Reply to
Oddjob

Hopefully a stone or wooden lintel. If you are lucky, no lintel at all. (Aren't you lucky it hasn't fallen down yet?)

Seems likely.

You can get (hire) special (Strongboy) props where the top simply goes into a mortar joint in the line of brickwork above the existing lintel. Very quick and easy.

Or you can drill holes, put "needles" through them and put the props under the needles (about 2" diameter steel rods), with a "head tree" (4"x4" timber) between needles and props to spread the load evenly.

Or you can knock a couple of bricks out and put timber spreaders through the holes and prop them up.

See above

I've done it to put garage-sized doors in a barn. It'd easier than you think. Even girlies can do it..

It will make an unbelievable amount of mess.

Don't get carried away with the sledgehammer.

If it is a stone floor, no problem - just put pad pieces under the prop bases. If it is a wood floor, put some planks down to spread the load on the props...Be very, very sure the floor will take the load..

However, consult with your local council's building regs department.

Reply to
Palindrome

Thanks very much for that Sue, I will knock the plaster off and have a look :-)

Reply to
Oddjob