Dishwasher problem

I hope someone here may be able to help me. I am pretty handy but have never worked on a Dishwasher before. the Model is Hygena APL8224/3. The problem is that no water is coming in, on turning the dial things seem to be trying to work but no sound of water. Where do I start to look for problems? I assume there is an inlet Valve, I wouldn't have thought it was a blocked filter as no water is coming in at all. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated although I won't be attempting to fix it until Saturday.
Thanks.
Conna
I only have experience of my Neff & previously a Philips. I'm prejudiced against Hygena, my mother always said "buy cheap - buy twice". However, it might be just a rebadged major-brand.
1st is to check the inlet filter and pipe for blockages and kinks. 2nd, there is probably an inlet valve inside that needs power to allow filling. It will be failsafe so a bad contact (corroded spade-terminal?) inhibits filling. Give it a few taps with a screwdriver handle, it might be stuck closed. I fixed a similar problem by inspecting the clear plastic matrix of vents/chambers on the l.h.side of the unit (you'll have to take off the cover to expose the gubbins). Check for limescale and gunge. I'd recommend the Haynes Dishwasher Repair Manual by Graham Dixon (ISBN 1 85960 329 7). Your local library should have it, or get it for free from another branch.
Good luck
Geoff

You're lucky - costs us 1 a time to xfer in from another (in-county) branch :-((((
--
Martin

[Remove barrier to reply]
Well, good ol' Essex Library Service ;->

Cheers for that Geoff.