Correct way to fit a shower waste

Fitting a new shower tray. This is probably a dumb question but that last shower leaked.
The waste I bought from plumb world http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/1-34-solid-1-12-tail-and-2-1897-3813
It has a plastic nut and a rubber washer.
Am I right in thinking that I fit the waste to the shower tray by putting plumbers mate underneath the flange, drop it ithrough the hole in the tray and secure it with the washer and the nut from underneath?
Or is it possible that the washer goes between the flange and the tray (no plumbers mate) and just the plastic nut underneath?
Advice would be most welcome.
Eric
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:17:25 -0800, Eric wrote:

========================================A word of caution. Some tray manufacturers warn against using things like Plumber's Mait / Boss white etc. as they can cause damage. Coram state only silicone to be used - others may also do so. Worth a quick check on your instructions if you've got them.
Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Thanks for the silicone sealant suggestion.
Took a trip round the DIY's this afternoon and noticed that the instructions on some suggest that silicone can be used under the flange, so I thimk I will try that.
Ended up with a Universal Shallow Shower Trap from Homebase - cheap and cheerful. One point - it would probably be best to have a 50mm seal given building regulations. How is the seal depth measured? Is it from the water surface to the bottom of the trap ? or from the water surface to the top of the U bend.?