Pumped shower waste

Going to install a shower cubicle in my bathroom shortly - in place of the largely unused bath. The shower waste is going to be something of a problem, though, and I'd be grateful for the views of anyone here who's ever done anything similar.

The installation is in a bungalow with a concrete floor. The shower cubicle would be about six feet away from the existing bath, but I would need to run the waste to where it now exits to the outside world - which is approx two inches above floor level (for various reasons that can't be changed).

In order to get a suitable fall I would need to build quite a high step up into the shower cubicle - six to eight inches I reckon. This is possible, of course, but far from ideal, so I was wondering about the possibility of fitting a shower waste pump.

Anyone got any advice on this sort of thing?

Siting the pump wouldn't be difficult, but getting a fall into it from the shower might be - do they need this, or can they 'suck' waste water from the shower and then pump it to the outside world?

Reply to
Joe Bloggs

Not strictly true

A non-pumped solution would be better but it's down to the OP to choose between having a step up or the cost/noise of a pump.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Not actually true.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

More misinformation. The eBay one is £99. No need to fit it under the tray.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Might it work with one of those slim/anti-syphon wastes and a (say) 2" fall?

Reply to
RJH

I don't think that I'd even get that kind of fall without raising the shower tray.

Reply to
Joe Bloggs

I am not recommending that you do this but I recently has to turn our sub b asement bathroom and shower into a wetroom to take a wheelchair so I took o ut the bath and shower cubicle and dug a hole in the corner, dropped in a b ucket big enough to take a sump pump (about £50 from Screwfix),fitted a grill over it, resined the bathroom floor and six inches up the wall and fitted a shower mixer to the wall. Use the shower, fill the bucket up, switch on the pump until you hear it ru n dry and then switch it off. The outlet from the pump is connected to the old bath waste via a hosepipe. I didn't want to put a fall on the existing floor (too much work) so the shower floor area is enclosed by a big fat bea d of clear silicone on the floor to stop the water from running out of the door. The water is slooshed into the corner with a big squeegee and dried o ff with a mop. It is for immediate family use only so everyone know the rules. The two main problems I had apart from poisoning everyone with the fibregla ss resin fumes were getting the resin to go off (fan heaters blowing day an d night) and getting an effective seal between the bucket and the wet room floor (so the water doesn't run away underground with I don't know what con sequences) It isn't pretty but cost next to nothing and works very well.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

The Saniflo one (?Sanishower) can definitely suck water uphill, so if you are prepared to put a small grill in the floor and a chased slot to the pump you can have a shower base at floor level. Or just a couple of inches above the floor if preferred. I think the pump provides its own trap, but you can always use one of the Hep2 things in the outlet if not.

Reply to
Roger Hayter