Constructional Hearth

I'm new to DIY. I have removed an old surround and the fireback etc to open up the fireplace to fit a stove. The only problem is that the constructional hearth is crumbling and is in a state of poor repair generally. I think it is probably better to replace it. How do I go about it?
I had the same problem Griffo. I took up the old hearth, used timber for shuttering and filled it with sharpsand/cement mix. When dry I went to my tile shop and bought some slate tiles and laid them on top. Looks smashing. I left the timber shutteting in place and painted it matt black.
ken
What's shuttering?
What's shuttering?