Colour masking?

Our hall is painted in a dark ochre/terracotta colour. We want to repaint it in a very pale grey - can someone suggest the best colour to use over the ochre to mask/mute it so the grey is not affected.
TIA
SalesGuy
You could get some cheap nasty white or magnolia to lighten it and keep it relatively uniform before you put your expensive paint on.