cleaning sofa fabric

I took the cushions off my sofa to the dry cleaners but they wouldn't do them because they had no washing instructions label on them. They said they thought there was rubber in the fabric and it would dissolve and gum their equipment up.
Back home I took a small scatter cushion and washed it by hand with water and detergent. It cleaned up OK but shrank quite a bit.
How do I go about making a proper job of this?
"Andrew Vevers" <http://www.environmentalconsultants.co.uk wrote in message

Much as it goes against the grain for a DIY ng, it would be worth considering calling in a professional. I use Ambassador Cleaning Services which I think is a franchise. The men are conscientious and have never caused me a problem in my home or that of any I have recommended them to. Their experience would help them choose the appropriate method and I have never felt overcharged. Oh dear, I just re-read it and this sounds like an advert. I truly have no connection with this company other than being a satisfied customer.
Phian