drying big foam sofa-cushions?

Hi potty training kid - inevitably "accidents" happen. We washed the affeced cushions from the affected sofa but are now really strauggling to dry them. I have taken them out from the over-cloth, pressed them as much as possible to wring water out and left them for a couple of days infront of the radiator but as there is no much water still in them they start to stink again after a couple of days since they havent dried.

How can i dry what are effectively 2 huge sponges????

Reply to
Riz1

Apart from a baking hot summer day, those big driers at the launderette?

Reply to
EricP

To stop the stink, rinse in water to which you have added some antibacterial washing-up liquid. When I say rinse I mean stick it in the bath and stomp on it for a while. To remove most of the water place it between a couple of towels on a firm flat surface and run over it with a heavy garden roller. Or a car. Or just stomp on it some more.

Reply to
Rob Morley

...and then maybe shove in deep freeze to freeze dry, or simply leave in airing cupboard for a week or two.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I nearly suggested that :-) How about putting it in a pressure vessel and evacuating the air?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes, except you need bleach rather than antibac, which wont kill mould. Only use thin bleach, not thick. Since youve already got stinky mould I'd use quite a strong mix.

But the OP has missed the key point: you must fan air through the foam for 2 or 3 days. With no air circulation, other methods just will not work. Hang it under a ceiling fan, put it inches from a deskfan, or even better inches from a dehumidifier air outlet, and run it constantly. Typically pillows need 3 days to be properly dry.

Also a spin in the machine will get a lot more water out than hand wringing.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton