British workmen

Had a new garage door installed a couple of days ago. I did contemplate doing the job myself (and if I had realised that my new door came complete with frame and pre-tensioned spring I probably would have done!) but decided in the end to give the job to a dedicated garage door installer. Mistake! The door is fitted but why is it, whenever I get any 'professional' in to do a job for me, I end up dissatisfied and having to carry out numerous little snagging jobs myself that the 'professional' should have done? The job is not terrible - but neither is it good. The door would not 'click' shut after he had gone. Why? because the top bolt was not adjusted properly and instead of hitting the 'slope' of the catch, it hit the edge of the catch and stopped the door dead. All it needed was the length of the bolt operating cable adjusting, and the catch smearing with grease, and now the door clicks shut without problem. I went around checking the brackets where the door is fixed to the sides. What do I find? Half the bolts just swizzle around because the hole in the brickwork is too big and the rawlplug too small. I ended up taking most of the bolts out, one at a time, and packing the plugs to ensure that the bolts screwed in tight. One of the brackets had half a dozen packing washers behind it - but they were totally unnecessary because the other angle of the bracket had oval adjusting holes and using them the bracket could be just slid right up to the wall. I've now done this and removed the packing washers. The door opening spring is over-tensioned and the door flies up with such force that any unsuspecting door opener would end up being laid out flat with an uppercut to the chin. My 'dedicated' garage door fitter did not have his tensioning tools with him and so will have to come back to make the necessary adjustment. The old door had a wooden frame - and the new door a platiscote metal frame. Problem is that the space above the door was filled with plastic cladding fixed to vertical battens fixed to the frame. In removing the wooden goal-post frame, these vertical battens are now left dangling from their upper fixing and the whole cladding set up now moves in and out! I despair - whatever happened to pride in workmanship? The old adage has never been more true - If you want a proper job doing, then do it yourself! The fitter did offer to give me a quote for replacing the cladding when he comes back to adjust the spring tension - I've told him I'll do it myself!

Uno-Hoo!

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

Well, I tned to do the jobs myself ... but have to accept that it will take

10 times as long. The thing is when anyone pays out harned earned cash for something, then they expect it to be 'prefect'. By my expreince this never happens. Also, if you are working on your own house you are bound to do a better job than if your working on someone elses.

I know how you feel.

Reply to
Chris

Well this is a DIY group. So why did you pay someone to to it?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In article , Uno-Hoo! posted...

It could have been the case that you hired a less-than-adequate workman, or you may have not been entirely clear in describing how you wanted the work done.

I usually find it better to hire workmen based on recommendation from friends, relatives or neighbours than from the Yellow Pages or local business directory. That's the only reliable way to avoid the situation you're facing now.

Reply to
Daniel

I agree. I suppose the problem is that as a keen diy'er who is a bit of a perfectionist, I can never find a 'professional' that comes up to my standards.

Uno-Hoo!

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

I agree 100%. If you are doing it yourself, on your own property, you have a strong incentive to do the job right. If you stick up a tile that isn't 'just right' you'll take it off again and do a bit of 'ferkling' to get it spot on. A 'professional' will simply say; "It's good enough" and carry on.

Kev

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

There is a definite lack of skilled workman in this country these days

- the void is filled with cowboys and handyman - our obsession with getting things on the cheep only aggravates the situation Your professional was probably a second hand car salesman before the before the career move.

Reply to
George Tingsley